Sam (not from TV) Donaldson is back for my third time to blog his work. A really creative grid with only 32 blocks and the likely controversial theme content 11-4-9-4-11. The unwritten rule about theme fill being the longest fill...well I bet some will object. For me, the central fill makes that rule seem silly for this puzzle.
Mr. D. also worked a bunch of fun stuff into his grid like OX TEAM, SIN TAX, OLD VIC, KAVNER, SAL SODA, TABULAR, ACREAGE, DESK SET, OPEN TOE, ALTIMAS, PLATYPI, KEPT FIT, ODDBALL, REISSUED, VAN DAMME...this puzzle is a keeper.
17A. Prioritizes self-interest : LOOKS OUT FOR (11). Looks out for number one is a very popular phrase, both by those in favor and opposed.
34A. Championship team cheer : WE'RE (4). We're number one! The puzzle blogging family!!!
35A. Words needed to complete four puzzle answers : NUMBER ONE (9). The oddly placed reveal that made this an awfully easy Friday.
38A. "Let's Make a Deal" choice : DOOR (4). Being home 24/7 I managed to see a few minutes of Wayne Brady as Monty Hall....I quickly closed door number one.
58A. Object of a serious hunt : PUBLIC ENEMY (11). Is is me, or have they stopped publicizing the FBI 10 most wanted list (and the public enemy number one)?
1. Smelling __ : SALTS.
6. Olympic racers : LUGES. This was made tricky by the author.
11. Paving goo : TAR.
14. Dispatch boat : AVISO. Here is the HISTORY.
15. Unpleasant chores : SLOGS. Vague.
16. Missile from Venus? : ACE. Nice deception- Venus Williams, a tennis service.
20. Levy on liquor : SIN TAX.
21. Printed again : REISSUED.
23. Dedicated works : ODES.
24. Nicholas and Peter : TSARS.
26. Buck : CLAM. Old fashioned words for money.
27. Matched office accessories : DESK SET.
29. Alternative to throwing out : STORAGE.
31. Spots : ADS.
32. Treat roughly : MAUL.
40. Square placed on a square board : TILE. Scrabble anyone?
41. Scaled diagram : MAP.
44. Stayed in shape : KEPT FIT. Venus?
47. Eccentric : ODD BALL.
49. Not free, with "for" : A FEE.
50. Bygone "SNL" rival : MAD TV. Not a real rival.
52. "At Last" singer James : ETTA. A classic. I love this.
53. "Timecop" star : VAN DAMME. He is still working. LINK.
55. Diamond mine? : I GOT IT. Great baseball misdirection. When I was 6 or 7, in a family game a pop-up was hit my way. I yelled, " I got it, I got it, I think I got it!" Family was in stitches.
57. Fanatic : NUT.
60. "Evil Woman" band : ELO.
61. __ Gay : ENOLA. Isn't time to put this trivia out to pasture?
62. "It's __!": "We've been tricked" : A TRAP.
63. Numbered rd. : RTE.
64. Aired anew : RERAN.
65. Vermouth bottle name : ROSSI. The bottle I remember.
1. Grill-cleaning solution : SAL SODA. Not to be confused with Baking soda.
2. Ducked : AVOIDED.
3. Nala, notably : LIONESS. Lion King.
4. "Shame!" : TSK TSK.
5. McGwire's 1998 rival : SOSA. Mark and Sammy - baseball, number 3.
6. Team with a live tiger mascot : LSU. A gimme for Susan, Big Easy, Boo and others.
7. UHF component : ULTRA. Ultra High Frequency.
8. Fetching employees? : GOFERS. Those who fetch- go for.
9. Altruist's opposite : EGOIST. Deducible.
10. Ukr. and Lith., formerly : SSRS. The U made them united.
11. Like spreadsheets : TABULAR. Reminded me of these BELLS.
12. Plot : ACREAGE. Easy if you do real estate.
13. Name for a help file : READ ME.
18. Ones working together on a farm : OX TEAM. Sorry Sam, but my meh of this puzzle.
22. Slope of loose stones : SCREE. Similar to talus...yeah that helps. My unknown even after filling with perps.
25. Concert souvenir : STUB. I used to save my backstage passes.
28. Blue character : SMURF.
30. Possessed : OWNED. No exorcist needed.
33. Umpire's call : LET. Tennis.
35. Famous : NOTED.
36. Laugh-a-minute sort : RIOT.
37. It was originally established as the Royal Coburg Theatre : OLD VIC. The HISTORY.
38. Fallback provision : DEFAULT.
39. Showing off a pedi, perhaps : OPEN TOE. You think SPLYNTER?
41. Shouldn't be ignored : MATTERS. It....
42. Nissan models : ALTIMAS.
43. Duck-billed mammals : PLATYPI. Latin plural -us leads to -i.
44. Julie who voices Marge Simpson : KAVNER. Rhoda's little sister.
45. Not susceptible : IMMUNE.
46. Emmy winner Jeffrey of "Transparent" : TAMBOR. I loved him as Hank.
48. Suspect : BE ON TO. Onto?
51. Street of mystery : DELLA. She worked for Perry.
54. Mimic : APER.
56. Reverse, e.g. : GEAR.
59. Creator of Q and M : IAN. Fleming and he also created Bond, James Bond.
RIP Roger Moore, you were a fun Bond. Slowly trying to get back in shape, and this work out helped. Samuel made me work for the solve and it was a great . Hope you enjoyed the puzzle and all have a great Memorial Day. My oldest granddaughter has a dance recital to highlight my week end.
Thanks Mr. D. Lemonade out.