google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Monday, Jan 28, 2008 Robert A. Doll

Advertisements

Jan 28, 2008

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 Robert A. Doll

Theme: All Wet - the first word of each two-word phrase is a river.

17A: Cousin to the Yellow Finn potato: YUKON GOLD. Here is Wolfgan Puck's Potato Salad recipe. Pretty good.

40A: Don Adams cartoon character: TENNESSEE TUXEDO. Never heard of it, but easily gettable.

66A: Cowboy of tall tales: PECOS BILL. Never heard of this "Legendary American Coyboy".

11D: Sign of an a-one greeting: RED CARPET

36D: Bad roll of the bones: SNAKE EYES

I SEARCHED (31A: Use Google) quite a bit for this puzzle. Sometimes Monday crossword is not Monday to me. The same with those Sudoku star rating, don't you think so?

I still do not understand 36D: Bad roll of the bones: SNAKE EYE. Why? I don't understand the meaning of the clue, and I don't know why SNAKE EYE is the answer.

All my trouble started with 7D: _ Never fly! I put PIGS instead of IT'LL immediately, in fact, it's the first word I inked in this morning. I put down EGG instead of EGO for 4D Swelled head.

Here is a recap:

Across Clue:

5A: Pass over lightly: SKIM

14A: Ship's Slammer: BRIG (Jail)

21A: Protuberance on the head: ANTLER

39A: Lapdog, briefly: POM for Pomeranian.

52A: Everglades bird: EGRET

64A: Manufactured fiber: RAYON

72A: Fake coin: SLUG. Did not know. I always associated SLUG with HIT HARD. Baseball ball sluggers like Twins #33 Justin Morneau slugs, hard. Barry Bonds is maybe a fake.

73A: Singer Moffo: ANNA

Down Clues:

1D: Sci-fi classic "The ___": ABYSS. I feel so sorry for myself that I do not know any of this Sci-fi stuff.

2D: Vinegar bottle: CRUET. My vinegar stays in its original bottle.

5D: Official seal: SIGNET.

9D: Al Jolson's real first name: ASA.

10D: Land of Xerxes: PERSIA. Never heard of this king before.

13D: Ms. Redgrave: LYNN. She was twice nominated for Oscar and won a Golden Globe. I hope Julie Christie wins this year. "Away from Her" is good.

53D: Small sharks: TOPES.

61D: Prosperity: WEAL. Woe and Weal.

Let's DO WELL (60A: Prosper) this week.

C. C.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Bones are dice and snake eyes are rolling a pair on ones

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Thanks for lifting this fog for me Anna.

C. C.

Anonymous said...

I never knew Al Jolson's first name was Asa. Asa was also the name of my 5th or 6th great grandfather, Asa Hutchinson. He was a member of the then famous Hutchinson family singers. My ancestors from New England who later settled in a small town about 40 miles west of Minneapolis. The town now known as Hutchinson. I'll bet he could sing the National Anthem at a Twins game.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Anonymous,

This Hutchinson name sounds so familiar. I have to ask my husband about it.

The Twins actually had a 3-judge panel sitting at the back of the stage for the audiction.

C. C.