google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 Annabel Michaels

Advertisements

Jan 23, 2008

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 Annabel Michaels

Theme: 1/23/2008

17A: ONE TWO THREE
11D: ZERO EIGHT
60A: TWENTY THIRD
33D: OF JANUARY

I spent an insane amount of time trying to figure out the left down corner. I put in BEEP for 55D: Signal with a horn, but then I was not so sure of PLY for 65A: Double Over. In fact, I thought "Double Over" means spy. And, I was not certain of BOUDOIR for 55A: Woman's sitting room. I kept imagining a separated, white-walled, Persian rug decorated room those Muslim women live in Saudi Arabia, or Kuwait.

24A: Golfer's Porter: CADDIE. Steve Williams is probably the coolest (and the richest) porter in the golf world.

41A: Enjoin Solemnly: ADJURE. Another new word for me. It has nothing to do with join.

49A: Spooned: NECKED. Never heard of this expression.

63A: Dyer: TINTER. Only knew tint, never used tinter in any sense before.

42D: Soft Italian cheese: RICOTTA. I heard of this cheese before, from Rachel Ray. Yummo for her. No No for me.

50D: Fuzzy Fruits: KIWIS. Somehow I wanted to fill in UGLI, which is not fuzzy.

I don't understand why 35D: Shirtsleeves is ARMS. Did I make a mistake? It means not wearing a jacket according to this dictionary.

I also tend to confuse AVER and AVOW a lot. See 12D: Declare as true: AVOW. (Update: I don't think the clue of the Star Tribune is correct. Declare as true should be AVER.)

C. C.

No comments: