google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday July 15, 2012 Gareth Bain

Advertisements

Jul 15, 2012

Sunday July 15, 2012 Gareth Bain

Theme: "Say What?" - Say can precede the first word(s) in each theme entry.

23A. Area for religious zeal : AMEN CORNER. Golfers are all familiar with Augusta's Amen Corner. Say "Amen".

25A. Actress turned princess : GRACE KELLY. She epitomized elegance. Say grace.

42A. Jackie Coogan's "Addams Family" role : UNCLE FESTER. Say uncle.

47A. A Bible, to many : THE WORD OF GOD. Say the word. I just can't focus on my Bible.

68A. 1961 Marvelettes #1 hit : PLEASE MR. POSTMAN. Say "Please".

93A. O'Neill play : AH, WILDERNESS! Not familiar with the play. Say "Ah".

96A. "I'm full!" : NO MORE FOR ME. "Say no more".

116A. Start of an opinion : I DO BELIEVE. Say "I do".

119A. Everly Brothers classic : BYE BYE LOVE. Say "Bye Bye".

Simple, elegant & original. Love it. I like that two of the theme entries are familiar songs.

9 theme entries with 101 squares are not easy to deal with, luckily the entry length are grid-friendly for Gareth. Constructors love 10's on Sunday, since you can place them side by side. The 11's and 12's have a malleable 2-letter overlap.

Across:

1. Old West gunslinger Jack : SLADE. Wiki said he was "a stagecoach and Pony Express superintendent, instrumental in the opening of the American West and the archetype of the Western gunslinger."

6. Converse : CHAT

10. Sound off : OPINE

15. Wall St. hedgers : ARBs. Arbitragers.

19. "Enough of that!" : CAN IT. 29A. "Told you!" : SEE

20. Like gossamer : AIRY

21. Nobelist Curie : MARIE

22. Joint malady : GOUT. Strict diet for gout sufferers. They can't eat sardines.

27. Contemptible : BASE

28. __ voce: softly : SOTTO

30. "Who'd've thought?!" : I'LL BE. Needs "Well" in front.

31. Political handout : TRACT

33. Suffix with Zola : ESQUE. So, what kind of style is Zola-esque?

36. Rapper __ Dogg : NATE. Also the name of Jazzbumpa's grandson, who aspires to be a Tiger someday.

38. Shade of gray : ASH

40. Dragon slayer's destination : LAIR. Every Chinese wants his/her son grow up to be a "dragon", meaning "highly successful".

51. Rummage event : YARD SALE. Neighborhood yard sales are always fun.

52. Big dos : BASHES. Not AFRO (37D. High style).

53. Personal account, briefly : BIO

54. Roughly : OR SO

55. Big weight : TON

56. Et __ : ALII

57. Quaint graphic, for short : LITHO. Lithograph.

59. Ferdinand II, por ejemplo : REY. "King" in Spanish. "Rei" in Portuguese.

60. Dropped off : SLEPT

62. Chef's measure : TEASPOON. I cook by feel.

65. "The Raven" opener : ONCE. "Once upon a midnight dreary..."

67. Hobbits' home, with "The" : SHIRE. We had this before.

72. "... all snug in __ beds" : THEIR

74. Organ parts : KEYS. Are you thinking of EYES/EARS?

75. Volcanic depressions : CALDERAS. New word to me. And 104. Like volcanoes : CONIC

79. Longest river in France : LOIRE

80. Club date : GIG. So simple.

82. Eventually become : END UP

84. Human plant? : MOLE. Tricky clue.

85. Bruins legend : ORR (Bobby)

86. Superior at work : BOSS

87. Pussycat's partner : OWL. "The Owl and the Pussycat".

88. Deceive : LEAD ON

90. Queen who bankrolled Columbus : ISABELLA. Long gimme.

98. Round-of-four game : SEMI. I only know Final Four.

99. Sugar suffix : OSE

100. Starts to doze : NODS

101. Derby setting : EPSOM

106. King of Judea : HEROD

109. Realm from 800-1806: Abbr. : HRE

111. 2001-'08 White House Deputy Chief of Staff whose middle name is Whitehouse : HAGIN (Joe). Wow, I have no memory of this guy at all. He reported to Andrew Card. That's a prescient middle name.

113. Whipped cream amount : GLOB

121. "Farewell, Luigi!" : CIAO

122. Sea eagles : ERNES

123. English horn relative : OBOE

124. Crockett contemporary : BOWIE (James). Alamo.

125. Mfg. guidelines : STDs

126. India's first one took place in 1974 : N-TEST. New trivia to me. China's first was in 1964. My grandma reminded me often the great "Three Years of Natural Disasters" (1958-1961) when at least 15 millions died of hunger. Drought.

127. Cheer : YELL

128. They generate interest : BONDS. Another great clue.

Down:

1. Sign of healing : SCAB

2. Very high priest? : LAMA. High indeed.

3. It can knock you out : ANESTHESIA. Number.

4. Eatery with its own lingo : DINER

5. "Yadda yadda yadda": Abbr. : ETC

6. Major artery : CAROTID

7. Insinuate : HINT

8. Rugged ridge : ARETE. Classic crosswordese.

9. They're hardly old hands : TYROS

10. Texter's "Heavens to Betsy!" : OMG

11. Interstellar unit : PARSEC. About 3.26 light-years. Doesn't look like a word.

12. "Dies __": hymn : IRAE

13. Clairol hair-coloring brand : NICE 'N EASY. I dyed my hair red for a short period in college. I was out of my mind.

14. Width designation : EEE

15. Forever young, seemingly : AGELESS. Isn't she cool?

16. Kaiser __ : ROLL

17. Filament container : BULB

18. Eyelid problem : STYE

24. Annual black-tie affair, with "the" : OSCARS. Have you ever watched/listened to any Sacha Baron Cohen interview as himself? He's extremely intelligent.

26. Cashed, as a forged check : KITED

32. Skin irritation soother : ALOE

34. Status __ : QUO

35. Sturm __ Drang : UND. Hi there, Spitzboov!

38. Swinging time? : AT BAT

39. Rock often containing quartz : SHALE

41. Kilmer's nestful : ROBINS. "...A nest of robins in her hair..."

43. Ancient strings : LYRE

44. Certain tuber, slangily : TATER

45. Skip church, in a way? : ELOPE. We were married by a judge.

46. Musical with the song "Seasons of Love" : RENT

48. A secret may be told in one : WHISPER

49. Be the right size : FIT. This is perfect. Angelina who?

50. Call it a night : GO HOME

54. Nabisco trademark : OREO

57. Mauna __ : LOA

58. Ham __ : ON RYE

60. River herring : SHAD

61. Guy with wires : LINEMAN. Know nothing about football. What "wires"?

63. Ballet bend : PLIE

64. Anthem contraction : O'ER

66. "Strangers and Brothers" novelist : C P SNOW. Stumper.

67. Tee buyer's options, briefly : SML

69. ER readouts : EKGs

70. Racing craft with an anatomical-sounding name : SCULLS. Thanks for the helpful clue.

71. Exploit : TAP

72. Common statue : TORSO

73. Distiller Walker : HIRAM

76. Bull rider's protector : RODEO CLOWN

77. Posted __: didn't break even : A LOSS

78. Have a feeling : SENSE

79. Filet mignon cut : LOIN

80. Pro shop purchase : GOLF SHIRT. And 81. World Golf Hall of Famer Aoki : ISAO. Minor "Golf" & GOLF dupe.

83. "One for the road" offense, briefly : DWI

86. Wasn't colorfast : BLED

88. Snicket of children's books : LEMONY. What would be your pen name?

89. St. Patrick's land : ERIN

91. Rare great apes : BONOBOS. No wonder I've heard of them. Rare!

92. Lose ground? : ERODE

93. Roadie's load : AMP. 95. 93-Down measurement unit : DECIBEL

94. Cock and bull : HEs

97. '50s Superman player George : REEVES. The only Reeves I know is Keanu.

102. "This will be awesome!" : OH BOY

103. Equivocator's word : MAYBE

105. Block house : IGLOO. Sounds good. So hot here.

106. Sounds from a wino : HICs

107. Work on one's work : EDIT

108. "The __ Not Taken": Frost : ROAD

110. Artist Magritte : RENE. Surrealist. This is not a pipe.

112. Rock sci. : GEOL

114. Banished Roman poet : OVID

115. Waggle-dancing insects : BEES. Melissa is enjoying her annual Girls' Weekend at Shasta right now.

117. Deighton of thrillers : LEN

118. Superlative finish : EST

120. Go back : EBB

Answer grid.

C.C.

42 comments:

Argyle said...

Say what ... are you doing; publshing at 3:15 in the morning?

Thank you for 61. Guy with wires : LINEMAN. Know nothing about football. What "wires"? A perfect cue for Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman.(3:08)

Nick said...

Everyone remember ZOLAESQUE as 1-Across in Wordplay?

So, people with GOUT can't eat sardines, and eating sardines is an ideal way to avoid GOITER? Once again, the English language is in need of a severe intervention.

The golden rule of cooking: Be flexible (with ingredients) for meats and vegetables, be inflexible for baked goods.

I think I originally put BOONE for 124A, completly unsure if that's historically accurate. The solving of this puzzle is fainter than usual, but I do recall PLEASEMRPOSTMAN took quite awhile for my dad to remember. (In case you're wondering, I'm sticking to "doing the Sunday puzzle in advance because of a paper mix-up" until I can solve a Sunday by myself or someone fixes the problem.)

While the "Series of Unfortunate Events" is no longer the phenomenon it once was, Daniel Handler still writes under the penname LEMONY SNICKET, even for a piece about the Occupy movements. I only hope the rumors about remaking the movie as a stop-motion piece are remotely true.

HeartRx said...

Good morning C.C. et al.

Fun puzzle today! Your de-construction of the theme made me appreciate the elegance of its simplicity. And thanks for the AGELESS link. Haha. Why do I have the feeling that you were being sarcastic? I also liked the shout out to Lemonade714 at 88 D !!

Argyle, Glen Campbell’s song was what popped into my head at 61D – thanks for linking it!

This was a really smooth solve, with only a couple HICS. At 6 and 20-Across, I couldn’t decide if it was TALK/CHAT and LACY/FINE, but the downs made me hold off. I also had Boone at 124A. But I knew 114D had to be OVID, so that got corrected to BOWIE. Otherwise, it was almost a speed run for a Sunday. I hate when that happens!!

Have a great day, everyone.

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Not much to add today. Fine puzzle overall with a decent enough theme. Had some senior moments with ZoleESQUE, CPSNOW, NATE Dogg and HAGIN. Also, resisted GOLF SHIRT for awhile since I didn't realize you actually bought those at pro shops (I'm not a golf player, obviously).

James said...

I remember working for Sprint and they would have a "Lineman Rodeo". Basically to see who could splice the cables the quickest. I never went to one, I only read about it in the corporate quarterly. I never heard the Glen Campbell song. The only one of his that pops up is Rhinestone Cowboy. Wasn't that a movie with Robert Redford and Jane Fonda? Something about a "Rattlesnake Roundup"? I do not know.

CAROTID had me thinking of CSI, it seems it was one of Grissom's favorite words.

OSCARS threw me. It just seemed too obvious. My Occam's Razor moment. One of many each day!

Well, another hot day on the Beautiful Island is in the books!

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, C.C. and friends. Fun Sunday puzzle with lots of fun clues. I liked all the Volcanic clues. They reminded me of my long past vacation to Hawaii.

Interesting to see the Ferdinand II and ISABELLA, Spanish Inquisition monarchs, in the same puzzle.

Is ASH one of the 50 shades of Grey? I haven't read that book.

My favorite clue was the fresh new way to come to ELOPE = Skip Church, in a Way.

I also liked Lose Ground = ERODE. My work sometimes involves in working to restore the Eroding coastline.

Fun seeing the pairing of Droped Off = SLEPT and Starts to Doze = NODS.

l learned of the BONOBOS from an article in The Smithsonian.

Nice puzzle shout-out to LEMONY and the C.C. shout-out to Marti.

QOD: When your children are teenagers, it is important to have a dog so that someone in the house is happy to see you. ~ Nora Ephron

Mikey said...

C.C., somebody really messed up the aspect ratio of your image of Angelina who!

One of the joys and frustrations of solving crosswords is finding out all the things you know but don't know you know. I wound up in the SE corner with very little fill on the first pass, other than the entire NE corner. But thanks to the Everly Brothers, I was able to swiftly work back and up and finally finish with BASE, after changing my initial guess of SCAR at 1D to SCAB, which of course makes more sense. When all was said and done, in near-record time for a Sunday, I can honestly say I really knew all the fills, although the perps helped my aging memory-access processes.

Not as much fun as yesterday, but very satisfying.

Mikey said...

After doing a little research on the Angelina image, it looks like something to do with the Blogger software. The original image was 575 pixels x 849 pixels, giving an aspect ratio of ~ 6:9, but the HTML in the Web page shows it was forced to 365 px by 415 px, for a ratio of ~ 6:7. To see Ms who in all her considerable glory, you can copy the image and paste it into a Word document, where it will be properly rendered, or look at the original source.

Lemonade714 said...

Gareth always delivers, and C.C., your write up was spot on. Mostly WHS, theme was nicely wrought. I like TORSO and LOIN being next to each other.

The life of GEORGE REEVES ended tragically, in a mystery never to be solved.

C.C., when you reach the Final Four, their are the semi-final games to be played, the winners of which play in the final, so they are called the SEMIS.

Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie all heroes to every child in the 50s.

Anonymous said...

First Time Poster here that still doesn't have a google account. Does this post make me a STPer ?

Never got the "ta da!". Not a speed run for me. Completed the grid at about an hour and a half, and spent the next 45 minutes trying to find out where my mistake was. Finally acquiesced and hit the solve button.

Turns out that 42A Jackie Coogan's role was Uncle FesteR rather than Uncle Festes (rarely watched the sitcom)so 46D was RENT rather than my SENT. And not too big on musicals so Sent seemed plausible to me. I did watch a bit of Mitzi Gaynor singing on the beach in South Pacific early this AM on one of the cable movie channels.

Choir teacher took us all to see Funny Girl when it came out. Loved Barbara because of that movie, but didn't care for her 87A role.

Argyle, I too thought of Gen Campbell's song with 61D LINEMAN.

I'm relatively new to puzzles, so I don't understand CC's comments about 10s 11s and 12s. As well, I never did get the theme SAY ____ until I read her explanation. I will have to start using the theme as a clue unto itself.

desper-otto said...

Enjoyed the puzzle today, but forgot to look for the theme. It wasn't needed for the solve, anyway.

I learned about CALDERAS in New Mexico -- there's one not far from Los Alamos -- about 12 miles across I think. That's actually small as calderas go. The one in Yellowstone is much, much bigger.

And it was at the Alamo, nowhere near Los Alamos, where both Davy Crockett and Jim BOWIE were killed. The Ballad of Davy Crockett, which started life on the Disney TV Shows, was on the pop charts seemingly forever in 1955 with versions by Bill Hayes and Tenessee Ernie Ford. Even Fess Parker, who played Crockett on TV, had a version. Every kid wanted a coonskin cap.

I thought AMEN CORNER was just some sort of golf thingee.

I remember watching George REEVES as Superman on the Saturday morning TV shows which included Mighty Mouse, Wild Bill Hickok, Sky King and Winky Dink and You. But that was a couple of years back...

Spitzboov said...

Good morning C.C. and everyone.

Did not suss the theme while solving; but had no problems with it. Came here to see the explanation which CC very clearly gave. Lagged around the E Center for a while and finally thought of POSTMAN and CALDERAS. Gimmes included LOIRE and OSE. Always liked Stürm UND Drang. ONCE was a WAG. Liked the SCULLS clue.
LINEMEN are workers who install and maintain aerial communication and electrical transmission lines. If they work on high voltage live lines, they are termed hot-stick linemen; since they use insulated 'sticks' and aerial buckets in order to manipulate the wires (or lines).
Thanks Gareth for another fun solve.

Enjoy the day

Argyle said...

In the photos that went with the Glen Campbell video were several showing them using "hot sticks", if I've used the term correctly.

St. Per, 10s, 11s, 12s refers to the number of letters in an entry. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Husker Gary said...

No clue on the theme but puzzle was very nice with just enough difficulty.

Musings
-AMEN CORNER is on my bucket list and I am looking at a $1,200 package to go to Augusta, walk the course and watch a practice round. Meet you there Tinman?
-My TV Fester was a sidekick to Matt Dillon
-Who said, “Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another beer.”
-I am a huge Everly Bros fan, two boys from Shenandoah, Iowa that made good.
-Are you sick of all the election year OPINEs yet?
-The radiation from the samples killed MARIE. Who knew back then?
-YARD SALE? One man’s junk…
-Up the LOIRE without a SCULL?
-Granddaughter’s name is Elise ISABELLA Chadwick
-I just about NODded off yesterday while waiting for Joann and granddaughter who were shopping for school clothes.
-DINER lingo – Adam and Eve on a raft and wreck ‘em.
-I actually heard the word ARETE the other night. Ain’t never heard TYRO.
-Kaiser BILL for Wilhelm? Nope!
-Last Sunday’s OREO puzzle was fabulous.
-I had GOLF SHAFT at first. Grandson hit a basketball with his hybrid and broke the shaft. He has to pay for its replacement.
-George Reeves checkered life is retold in Hollywooodland
-Off to see 2 hour parade in 100° heat. Read y’all later.

Irish Miss said...

Good afternoon:

This was a fun puzzle but I didn't understand the theme until CC spelled it out. I thought it was something biblical because of fill such as Word of God, Ah Wilderness, I Do Believe, Amen Corner, Grace (Kelly), (Bye Bye) Love. Anyway, other than Boone for Bowie, it was a smooth sail.
Thanks, Gareth, and thanks, CC, for a great expo.

Have a super Sunday everyone!

desper-otto said...

Husker, RE your musings: I think your Fester was actually a Festus. And I'll guess W.C. Fields for the quote. ARETE is East Texan for "have been eaten." I've heard of the TYROlean Alps, where I guess all of the yodelers must be rank amateurs.

Lemonade714 said...

W.C. Fields is it, as for beliefs I also like:"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same G-d who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

Dennis Weaver's Chester, was the first sidekick to Marshall Dillon, followed by Burt Reynolds as Quintus and then Ken Curtis as Festus.

Jayce said...

Hello everybody. Loved this puzzle, and had many of the same experiences and feelings about it as most of you did. The hardest part for me was the middle, partly because I filled in USE instead of TAP at 71D and couldn't think of CPSNOW. My wife and I were big fans of John Astin and Carolyn Jones in the "spooky and ooky" Addams Family, so UNCLE FESTER was a (long) gimme. Wanting GOLF SHOES instead of GOLF SHIRT got in my way also.

After reading your writeup, C.C., I really appreciate the marvelous construction of this puzzle.

I bleached my brown hair blond when in college, and although I thought it looked fine, my father got incredibly angry when he saw it. I never understood why it made him so exceedingly upset. Heck, it grew out quickly and within a couple of months I was brown-haired again.

When I was much younger, I had sometimes thought what pen name, or stage name, I would take on, assuming I would take one at all. I never came up with anything more original than Jayce The Face, which, now that I look back on it, I am almost ashamed to tell y'all about. My other choice was the equally lame Krisp E. Kritter.

Anonymous said...

61. Guy with wires : LINEMAN. Know nothing about football. What "wires"?

Re: Electric & communication wires.

Linemen are workers who string high voltage electric or communication wires on POLES for roads, railroads, towns & cities.

Jayce said...

Bonobos are so cool. We could learn a lot from them.

Lemonade, thanks for that wonderful quote by the great Galileo Galilei.

Did he have a cousin called Galliano?

Which leads my meandering mind to Gaius Iulius Caesar, about whom I shall say no more.

First (and Second) Time Poster, please feel free to become a Third Time Poster and more.

Best wishes to you all.

CrazyCat said...

I cant seem to pull up todays at the LA Times site, Chicago Tribune or Cruciverb.

LA Times just gives a black screen that says advertisement. Cuciverb doesn't have a grid, just the clues and Chicago Tribune says I'm missing a plug-in.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Lucina said...

Good afternoon, C.C. and puzzle folk.
Love your explanations, C.C.

A lovely sashay today which started at 6:30 this A.M. but then was interrupted as one sister spent the night, roused her, went to Church, another sister also came for breakfast. We were joined by two of her grandchildren. Finally took departing sister to the airport for her return to Charlotte.

Finally was able to finish this wonderful puzzle by Gareth Bain. Had all but the SE done and erred on DUI instead of DWI so SCULLS never appeared.

WEES on some very clever cluing. Now I'm going to take a nap. Family reunions are grand but don't leave much time for sleep.

I hope you are having a spectacular Sunday, everyone!

Lucina said...

Crazy Cat: you can print the puzzle from the first page of the blog.

Bill G. said...

Gary, I would have guessed your quote was from Norm on Cheers. It sounds like something he'd say.

Fun puzzle. Lots of clever clues. CrazyCat, I didn't have any trouble with the Chicago Tribune puzzle site.

River Doc said...

Even after the fairly straight forward solve I still didn't have a clue as to the theme - thanks CC for the explanation.

Golf Shirts came to me quickly, since my ex used to work in a pro shop.

One bit of diner lingo that has become mainstream is also one of my favorites to order - pigs in a blanket.

Jayce said...

CrazyCat, perhaps the plug-in they say you need is Adobe Flash Player, which you can download directly from the Adobe site, http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer.html

Or, perhaps you can try the Chicago Tribune page again, and when it says you need the plug-in, see if it also gives you a link to download it.

Jayce said...

CrazyCat, you can also get Flash Player for Internet Explorer (IE) at http://www.filehippo.com/

Make sure you download the one for the particular browser you use (I use Firefox.)

Jayce said...

Husker Gary, I give up. What are Adam and Eve on a raft and wreck ‘em? Something to do with two eggs scrambled, on toast?

Jayce said...

CrazyCat, sorry, the URL to download the Flash Player plug-in is http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Over and out.

CrazyCat said...

Thanks for your suggestions Jayce. I will try again. I started having the problem with the LA Times site a few days ago. I use Safari as my browser and I've never had a problem. I also tried Firefox, but had the same problem. I'll try the Chicago Tribune site again.

Lucina, I tried the blog connection also and it didn't work either. So weird!

Decided to garden instead of doing the puzzle since our hot weather has cooled down a bit today. I haven't had time to do a puzzle in three days and I'm having withdrawal symptoms!

Husker Gary said...

Musings 2

-Just back from the parade where the temp was 103 but a nice south breeze along with every other float dousing the crowd with huge squirt guns and fire hoses. There were at least 25,000 people lining the streets to see essentially the same parade we have had for years.
-All the politicians were there except Bob Kerry who did not deign to show up when he is so far behind in the polls.
-Big finish tonight with USAF Nightwing rock band playing in front of our town museum. They will rock the house.
-Doggone it, Mattheeww, it was Festus!
-Here is a complete dictionary of Diner Lingo
-I wonder if a picture of C.C. in red hair exists?
-Wichita Lineman leapt to mind instantly also. Glen is being very open with his fight against Alzheimer’s and has his kids on stage with him now. He also uses a very big teleprompter for these songs he has sung for 40 years.
-Lemon, Galileo's "I believe" philosophy got him into a lot of trouble and house arrest for years. The pope did apologize 400 years too late,

Anonymous said...

Can someone please explain 8 down : Tyros, to me. I'm anonymous bcz I'm too new to my droid to name myself but I am a regular commentor. Thanks.

lois said...

Good evening CC, et al., What a fun run on a Sunday. Thank you, CC for the excellent write up. I never would've gotten the theme and was thinking the same way as Irish Miss w/religion-esp being Sunday. Really enjoyed this one.

Santa Baby: you called out CC for being early? what time did you get up to do the puzzle and post at 4:52 AM? MAYBE this was still your Sat night...I DO BELIEVE that would be similar to an endless Cmas eve w/me? Can't wait.

Favorite chuckles: 94D cock and bull-HES,76D bull rider's protection-RODEO CLOWN (Freckles Brown),42A UNCLE FESTER and the concept of a LINEMAN's LOIN & TORSO in an EPSOM salt bath, NICE N EASY, esp if HES like Glenn Campbell (thanks for that link, Santa Baby).

Enjoy your evening.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Sorry I meant 9 down; tyros.

Lucina said...

Anon@5:11
TYROS means newbie, green behind the ears, freshman, novice. You get the picture. It's wise to learn that one as it's very crosswordese friendly and used often.

Argyle said...

Tyro

Bill G. said...

"Hey Norm, how's the world been treating you?"
"Like a baby treats a diaper."

Beautiful weather here today. It's been humid but today it's back down to 70 with about 70 percent humidity.

Unknown said...

I was also a Saturday morning Superman fan. My brother preferred Mighty Mouse.
Was so busy trying to solve the puzzle I didn't even think about a theme. Did much better today than yesterday.
I used to have Grace Kelly paper dolls as a kid.
Will be glad to start again tomorrow with something much easier.

Bill G. said...

"How's it going Mr. Peterson?"
"It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear!"

I continue to enjoy Sunday Morning. An interview with the Obamas, croquet, sea shells, Woody Guthrie, barbecue, tree houses, the Beach Boys. What's not to like?

Abejo said...

So, I wrote my whole response and it evaporated somewhere.

Abejo

Abejo said...

Have no idea what happened. Liked the puzzle. See you tomorrow.

Abejo

Argyle said...

It's not in the filters, I can tell you that much.