20A. 1954 Luis Buñuel film : ROBINSON CRUSOE. The 1997 remake starred Pierce Brosnan.
35A. 1974 Lina Wertmüller film : SWEPT AWAY. The 2002 remake starred Madonna.
54A. 1963 Peter Brook film : LORD OF THE FLIES. The 1990 remake starred Balthazar Getty.
And the unifier:
13D. With 44-Down, setting for 20-, 35- and 54-Across : DESERT. 44. See 13-Down : ISLAND.
Three movies from three different decades are the stars of this show, with all three taking place on a DESERT ISLAND. Evidently there were quite a few to choose from. It seemed a little difficult, but I didn't need to send out an SOS, and finished in my typical Thursday time.
1. Works by future doctors : THESES. Nailed it.
7. One of two N.T. books : COR.inthians.
10. Mellowed, perhaps : AGED. I must be very mellowed by now.
14. 24/7 Rollerball maker : PENTEL.
15. Address for a PFC : APO. Army Post Office, but also used by the Air Force.
16. Traffic controller : CONE. Until it gets run over by an out-of-control driver.
17. African adventure : SAFARI. (Safari, sa goodie…)
18. Buttinskies : MEDDLERS.
22. Eur.'s ocean : ATL.antic
23. Diva quality : EGO.
24. Smallish cells : AAs. Oh, batteries. I was thinking of platelets. (I guess it was the immunohematologist in me…)
25. "__ Love": Natalie Cole hit : OUR. Here's the lovely song. 5:25
26. Lamarr of Hollywood : HEDY. Not just a pretty face, she invented a signal technology that led to the modern cell phone.
28. Harrison colleague : STARR. George Harrison and Ringo Starr of the Beatles. I was thinking of this Harrison for a while.
30. Sluglike "Star Wars" alien : HUTT. Jabba the.
31. Map corner item, maybe : INSET.
33. Cross-referencing words : SEE NOTE.
38. Rat Pack leader : SINATRA. "Ol' Blue Eyes"
40. Pizza order : SLICE.
44. Start for sphere : IONO. Wanted "atmo" at first. It didn't work out well for me...
45. Moved, as a trireme : OARED.
48. Aussie flock : EMUS.
49. Benchmark: Abbr. : STD. Standard.
50. "For shame!" : TUT. Tsk, tsk. Another misstep.
51. Portuguese royal : REI.
53. PGA money winner, e.g. : PRO.
58. Unwanted import from the East? : ASIAN FLU.
59. Words that may precede weeping? : READ 'EM. (and weep…)
61. Word with blue or bean : NAVY.
62. Neurologist's test, briefly : EEG. Electroencephalogram.
63. Temper : ANNEAL. "Hissy fit" wouldn't work.
64. Covers the gray, say : DYES. Who, moi??
65. Tokyo, long ago : EDO.
66. They raise dough : YEASTS.
1. Festoons with certain tissue, for short : TPs. (Toilet Papers.) Auburn fans have it down to a science.
2. Give courage to : HEARTEN.
3. Swathes : ENFOLDS.
4. Attempt : STAB. Take a stab at the answer.
5. Spine-tingling : EERIE.
6. Baby carriers : SLINGS.
7. Hunter's garb, for short : CAMO.uflage.
8. Clearing : OPEN AREA.
9. A.L. Rookie of the Year after Tommie Agee : ROD CAREW. Oh, OK. If you say so. (Who knew CAREW?)
10. Rights protection gp. : ACLU. American Civil Liberties Union.
11. Has a date : GOES OUT.
12. On the way : EN ROUTE. The Cardinals were EN ROUTE for a verrrrrry long time on Tuesday.
19. TV's Oz and Gupta : DRs. I knew Dr. Mehmet Cengiz Öz, but didn't remember Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
21. Barstool topper : SOT. Haha, funny clue!
22. Yellowfin tuna : AHI.
27. Like no-nonsense questions : YES/NO.
29. "When You Wish Upon __" : A STAR. Original soundtrack. 2:13
30. Big name in games : HOYLE.
32. Bygone Delta rival : TWA. Trans World Airlines. Merged with American in 2001.
34. "Illmatic" rapper : NAS. Oh, I just can't link it...
36. Cajun crawfish dish : ÉTOUFFÉE. Yummm.
37. Went on and on : PRATTLED. I hope I am not PRATTLing too much?
38. In a manner of speaking : SO TO SAY.
39. Ready to go forward : IN DRIVE.
41. Blocks : IMPEDES.
42. Attack with profanity : CURSE AT.
43. That, in Tabasco : ESO. I never know whether to put an "O" or an "a" on the end. Perps tell me which way to go, usually.
46. Before, to a bard : ERE.
47. Offset, as costs : DEFRAY.
50. It may be gross : TON.
|Gross tonnage is calculated by measuring a ship's volume (from keel to funnel, to the outside of the hull framing) and applying a mathematical formula. Bill G.?|
55. Woody Allen's "Radio __" : DAYS. With Mia Farrow. Never saw it.
56. Science fiction prize : HUGO.
57. Collector's suffix : IANA. Meh.
60. D.C. United's org. : MLS. Major League Soccer.
That's it from me for this week. See you next time!