Theme: "Résumés" - Each theme answer is in the pattern of C* V* (Curriculum Vitae).
23A. Apple product : CIDER VINEGAR. Bragg's raw cider vinegar is very good.
42A. Modern security threat : COMPUTER VIRUS. Dave, did you get the Vosteran out?
62A. What most coupons lack : CASH VALUE. This intersects 62D. I'm always happy when this happens.
76A. Election night drama : CLOSE VOTE. This intersect 17D.
94A. Lustrous fabric :CRUSHED VELVET. Oh, I did not know there's a term for this kind of fabric.
119A. "Glee" song, e.g. : COVER VERSION
17D. Technique employed on many police shows : CINEMA VERITE. Click here for more info. Realism, sort of.
62D. Stand in a bedroom : CLOTHES VALET
119D. Résumés, briefly, and a hint to this puzzle's eight longest answers : CVs
I think this is another LAT debut. Congratulations, Michele!
Simple theme. I grokked the gimmick immediately. I was once quite good at conducting background check. Tricky job to do in those pre-Internet days.
I like the triple stacks of 8's in the upper right and lower left. They're tough to fill cleanly, esp when crossing another long theme entry.
1. Fuss : ACT UP
6. 1622 newlyweds : ALDENS. This is a difficult clue for me.
12. Police show staple : SQUAD CAR
20. One of two capitals on I-84 : BOISE. The other is?
21. Southernmost U.S. state : HAWAII. My first fill.
22. With strong desire : HUNGRILY
25. Kept : RETAINED
26. Block : STYMIE
27. Slippery fish : EEL
28. Outer space feature : NO AIR
29. Genesis woman : EVE
30. Convinces : SELLS
32. Lullaby-like Chopin work : BERCEUSE. Never heard of this word before. You?
35. USA part: Abbr. : AMER
36. __ Dhabi : ABU
38. Traffic cop's gp.? : DEA. Drug traffic.
40. Boisterous : ROWDY
41. Lunes, por ejemplo : DIA
47. Anatomy feature in a '50s musical nickname : PELVIS. What musical?
50. Deejay Casey : KASEM
51. Perceptive : KEEN
52. Pittsburgh's __ Park : PNC. Pirates' home. How's going, PA Don?
54. Like a sick student, probably : ABSENT
55. Queequeg feature, briefly : TAT (Tattoo)
57. Salt in a lab : NaCL
59. Eye-fooling pictures : OP ART
61. "Of Human Bondage" (1934) studio : RKO
64. Canine complaint : WOOF
65. Nada, in Nice : RIEN
66. Firmly fixed : WELL-SET
68. Slo-mo studier : REF
70. "I don't think so" : NICE TRY! Nice 7-letter entry.
72. Calendario units : ANOS
73. Consider : DEEM
79. Tippler : SOT
80. Loren's husband Carlo : PONTI. Gimme for me.
81. Jalopy : HEAP
82. Bambi relative : ENA
83. Sore : ACHING
85. Annual reason for losing sleep: Abbr. : DST
87. French 101 word : ETRE
89. New Look creations : DIORs
93. Future doctor's work, maybe : THESIS
97. D.C. bigwig : SEN
98. Pauley Pavilion player : BRUIN. UCLA Bruins.
100. Ike's command : ETO
101. Joseph of ice cream fame : EDY
102. Draining aid : EAVE
104. Cheapest way in : FREE PASS. Had I known FOLIO (104D. First __: Shakespeare collection), I would have nailed this long entry.
107. Goldsmith's "The __ of Wakefield" : VICAR
110. As per : A LA
111. Haunted house noises : MOANS
112. "Got it!" : AHA
114. Balmoral attraction : CASTLE. For the Royal family.
117. Risked perjury charges : TOLD A LIE
122. Precise : UNERRING
123. Fast tempo : VIVACE. Got via crosses.
124. Showed entirely : BARED
125. MLB All-Century Team outfielder : PETE ROSE. He was out lunch when Boomer and I passed by that sports store between Mandalay bay & Luxor where he was signing autographs. Holy cow, TTP, no one cared about him there. No waiting line despite the big promotional posters.
126. Sneaky devil : SLY FOX
127. Diving ducks : SMEWS
1. Basics : ABCs
2. San Francisco's __ Tower : COIT
3. Enviable assets : TIDY SUMS. Great entry as well.
4. "I'm available" : USE ME
5. Jeopardy : PERIL
6. Sushi bar selection : AHI
7. "Penny __" : LANE
8. Social misfit : DWEEB
9. Three on a 47-Down : EAGLE. And 47. Long hole : PAR FIVE. I don't think I've ever parred a Par Five hole.
10. Actress Vardalos : NIA
11. Title for golf's Nick Faldo : SIR. He uses Sir Nick Faldo for his Twitter handle.
12. Hide from view : SHROUD
13. Like a landlubber on the open sea, say : QUEASY
14. Loosen, in a way : UNTIE
15. Culture medium : AGAR
16. Soft & __: deodorant : DRI
18. Regular "Jeopardy!" sponsor : ALEVE
19. "Girl, Interrupted" star : RYDER (Winona). JOLIE too.
24. African grassland : VELDT
28. Ski resort refresher? : NEW SNOW
31. Look for : SEEK
33. Basic educ. trio : RRR
34. Something to pull off : COUP. I should have nailed it with ?OUP in place.
35. Doesn't feel great : AILS
36. "Oh no!" : ACK
37. Eye-catching wrap : BOA. Why "Eye-catching"?
39. Place to play : ARENA
41. Not a good thing to go into : DEBT. And 56D. Not a good thing to go to : THE DOGS. Does it sound like a long partial to you, Marti?
43. "He loves me" pieces : PETALS
44. Sch. with a Lowell campus : U MASS
45. Italian restaurant choice : VEAL
46. Bring upon oneself : INCUR
48. Comic book artist : INKER
49. Like some beaches : STONY. I wanted SANDY.
53. Naval noncom: Abbr. : CPO
58. Parasite : LEECH
60. Exceptional : A-ONE
63. Dodge Viper engine : V-TEN
65. Stores, markets, etc. : RETAIL
66. Attended : WAS AT
67. Tennyson's "__ Arden" : ENOCH
69. Runs : FLEES
71. __ Nast : CONDE. They own Vogue, The New Yorker Vanity Fair and a bunch of great magazines.
74. LAX listing : ETD
75. Makes a poor stroke : MISCUES
77. Pledge : OATH
78. Shopper's indulgence : SPREE
80. Nabokov title professor : PNIN. Haven't seen him for a long time.
84. "Uh-huh" : I SEE
86. Business __ : TRIP
88. 1999 Ron Howard film : EDtv
90. Exhaust : OVERTIRE. Not a word I use.
91. Sunburn color : RED
92. Farm structure : STY
95. One, to Juanita : UNA
96. Singers' reality show, with "The" : VOICE. No double it helped Adam Levine win the 2013 Sexist Man Alive crown. (Correction: Sexiest. Thanks, D-Otto.)
98. Intelligence : BRAINS. And 105. Intelligence : SAVVY
99. Weasel out : RENEGE
102. Devour : EAT UP. Alas, I can't devour much nowadays. In fact, I had nothing on Thanksgiving. Persistent cough, tired all the time. Various tests ruled out strep throat and virus (my white blood cell count is normal), so the doctor said it might be flu. He said it lasts 7-14 days. Today is #11 day for me. My first ever flu. Coughing night and day is so draining.
103. "In bad company," to Bierce : ALONE. Interesting definition.
106. Paper bundle : SHEAF
108. Dieter's count : CARBS
109. Indian state : ASSAM. Tea/silk.
111. Former golf announcer Dave : MARR. Just found out that he was the father of Golf Channel's Dave Marr.
113. Violist's direction : ARCO. With a bow.
115. MGM co-founder : LOEW
116. Extremes : ENDS
118. Doctor of music? : DRE. Dr Dre.
120. Texas resource : OIL
121. Bug : VEX