TITLE: AT THE TURN - Holes 1 - 9 are said to be the "front nine" in golf. Being at the turn means you've finished the front nine and are heading for the "BACK NINE", holes 10 - 18 and that is where Gail and Bruce are taking us today
Gail and Bruce have given us this theme by not only hiding the word NINE but spelling it backwards in three long fills as you can see in the grid below.
Here is their reveal:
59. Take on holes 10 through 18 ... and a hint to a letter sequence hidden in 17-, 27- and 45-Across : PLAY THE BACK NINE
There is a golf apparel business shop with that name in its logo.
The actual theme fills with the ENIN motif are:
17. Stock in company producing solar panels, e.g. : GREEN INVESTMENT - Perhaps one day we can invest in a Solar-Powered charging station for electric cars like this one at the University of Iowa. It will charge 40 cars/day for a 30 mile run.
27. Exonerated by the evidence : PROVEN INNOCENT - He was "found not guilty" not "PROVEN INNOCENT"
45. Standing hospitable offer : OPEN INVITATION - Our lovely, though too infrequent, blogger Chef Wendy has this house on Kauai. She has told me that Joann and I have an OPEN INVITATION to visit her and use the bedroom on the right side of this picture.
Resident golf hacker Husker Gary here, ready to holler FORE and hit the cwd links with Bruce and Gail:
1. Rough guess : STAB
5. Company that developed the first aluminum teakettle : ALCOA
10. Pre-coll. catchall : ELHI - Not a favorite word with this veteran educator, but waddaya gonna do?
14. Words of lament : AH ME
15. Inventive types? : LIARS
16. Wild way to run : RIOT
20. California rolls and such : SUSHI - "SPICY TUNA ROLLS" was in Mark Diehl's Saturday puzzle
21. Bud holder? : KEG
22. Touch-and-go : RISKY - Two girls trying to emulate Tom Cruises's entrance in RISKY Business.
25. Cato, for one : ROMAN
33. Single : LONE
34. Suggested actions : DO'S - A DO and a DON'T for Uggs
35. Wish for : DESIRE
37. In-flight fig. : ALT - Altitude
38. Jack's value, sometimes : TEN - Pair it with and ace and you're good to go!
39. Spearheaded : LED
40. Fixture that may have claw feet : TUB
41. Closed in on : NEARED
43. Fish that can swim backwards : EEL
44. A.L. West pro, informally : STRO - Some people like to call the Huskers the Skers. I'm about as big of a fan of that as I am of ELHI.
48. Five-time Olympic swimming gold medalist Ledecky : KATIE
49. Church-owned Dallas sch. : SMU
50. Moth-__ : EATEN
53. "Inside Politics" airer : CNN - Their final pre-election poll was as errant as most others
55. Initial stage : ONSET - It's hard to believe that just a year ago near the formal ONSET of this past election we were really interested in the Iowa Caucuses.
62. Vacation spot : ISLE
63. Nemesis : ENEMY
64. Canal past Rochester : ERIE
65. Far from friendly : COLD - Maybe most faculties aren't as COLD to sub teachers as they are indifferent
66. Parceled (out) : METED
67. Frees (of) : RIDS
1. Loses firmness : SAGS
2. No __ traffic : THRU - This sign might work as well
3. Former Iowa Straw Poll city : AMES
4. Dwelling fit for a queen : BEEHIVE - She's right there...
5. Boxer Laila : ALI
6. Website offering : LINK
7. Stalactite sites : CAVERNS
8. Home of college football's Ducks : OREGON
9. Mule's father : ASS
10. White-coated weasels : ERMINES
11. Golf ball positions : LIES - First rule in golf - "Play it where it LIES"
12. Sound of frustration, often : HONK
13. __-bitty : ITTY
18. Good-natured : NICE
19. Copied, in a way : TRACED - I hated it when I TRACED in books like this
24. Called the whole thing off : ENDED IT
26. Early assembly-line autos : MODEL T'S - You could have one any color you wanted EXCEPT black for the earliest ones. Years later, Ford figured out that using only black paint was cheaper and speeded up the process.
27. Arrange : PLAN
28. Logger's contest : ROLEO
29. Ready to draw, as beer : ON TAP
30. Physics particle : ION - Has an excess or deficiency of electrons
31. Capone cohort : NITTI
32. Cape Cod community : TRURO
36. Black, in verse : EBON
38. Studio renter : TENANT
39. Sweet-smelling garland : LEI
42. Typed in again : REKEYED - My specialty (curse)
43. 50-50 wager : EVEN BET - I know the Sunday LA Cwd is carried in fewer newspapers and so this is a repost of an image from my comment on Gail's solo Sunday puzzle. Two punters died this summer in a car crash, one from Nebraska and one from Michigan State. The Big Ten minted this coin to be used in the 50-50 coin toss before each game.
46. __ Creed : NICENE
47. Wild way to run : AMOK
50. Large-scale : EPIC
51. "One more thing ... " : ALSO - One of his catchphrases
52. Towering : TALL
54. Put a handle on : NAME
56. Apple Watch assistant : SIRI
57. Oklahoma city : ENID
58. Driving needs? : TEES - Apropos for a golf-themed puzzle day
60. Clothes line : HEM - HEM lines and the stock market
61. Dancer Charisse : CYD
Well after finishing the BACK NINE, I think I'll head for the clubhouse and let you TEE off with your comments!