google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday, November 20, 2016, C.C. Burnikel

Advertisements

Nov 20, 2016

Sunday, November 20, 2016, C.C. Burnikel

TITLE: MELEE - C.C. has a clever Sunday offering for us today where she chooses compound words or two-word phrases where the word FREE could be appended to the front of each word of the compound word or either word in the phrase and give another common phrase. The reveal below uses yet another common phrase to tie the whole thing together. Wow!

111. Fracas, and a hint to both words in the answers to starred clues : FREE FOR ALL - Also what a baseball disagreement can become


23. *Retail enticement : TRIAL OFFER - Also FREE TRIAL and FREE OFFER - Caveat Emptor!



29. *Western nickname : SILVER STATE - Nevada or...

       FREE SILVER - A big political issue around 1900

      FREE STATE - A big political issue around 1860


54. *Mall rarity at Christmas : PARKING SPACE or

     FREE PARKING - A familiar game place


     FREE SPACE - Part of another game


47. *Reporter's credential : PRESS PASS or

     FREE PRESS - An underpinning of our democracy


     FREE PASS - Be our guest


76. *Like much farm decor : COUNTRY STYLE

     FREE COUNTRY 



     FREE STYLE 



83. *Many sandwiches are made for it : LUNCH TIME 

     FREE LUNCH - Caveat Avis


     FREE TIME - What to do, what to do?


100. *Airport employee : TICKET AGENT or

     FREE TICKET


     FREE AGENT - Lou Brock's anti-trust suit against MLB opened the way for baseball players to               become FREE AGENTS


Husker Gary here to shepherd you through the rest of C.C.'s fun puzzle:

Across

1. Relaxes on the porch, say : ROCKS

6. Character set : CAST - This CAST of then-unknowns from The Outsiders went on to do pretty well! How many do recognize?


10. "Some girls with a snuffle / Their tempers are uffle" poet : NASH

14. Pest control brand : ORKIN

19. Digs in the snow : IGLOO

20. Many a woman, vocally : ALTO

21. "Homeland" actress Miranda : OTTO

22. Revolutionary diplomat Silas : DEANE - First American diplomat to France

25. Cassandra's prophecy : DOOM She was a 33. Expert in futures? : ORACLE but gift came with the curse that no one would believe her

26. Ill-fated energy company : ENRON

27. Peaceful and relaxed : ZEN

28. "Word is ... " : I HEAR

31. Chipotle option : TACO

35. __ buco : OSSO - Milanese specialty of veal shanks


36. Foe of Rocky : BORIS - With accomplice Natasha Fatale

37. Desert or tundra : BIOME

38. Longoria of "Telenovela" : EVA

39. Org. in some le Carré novels : KGB - Do you recognize their leader from 1986 - 1991?


42. Federal Reserve chair Yellen : JANET

43. Supplied, as a forgotten line : FED TO

44. Sitarist Shankar : RAVI - An associate of Yehudi Menuhin and The Beatles

46. Skin : PEEL

49. Pollen source : STAMEN

51. Annual stage award : OBIE - The 2016 OBIE winner for Best New American Play off Broadway


52. Auction ender? : EER

53. Outer: Pref. : ECT

56. Contend (with) : GRAPPLE

59. Thus far : AS YET

60. Friend of Claudius I : HEROD

61. Seedy digs : RAT TRAP

64. Quite a journey : ODYSSEY - I'd say so!


67. "Whoop-de-doo" : OH FUN

70. Bolt on the track : USAIN - The fastest man on Earth

72. Comes into view : APPEARS

79. Goliath, to David : FOE

80. It might have the family name on it : MAT

81. Coastal raptor : ERNE

82. Make public, in a way : UNSEAL - The original Warren Report was not to be UNSEALED for 75 years but now the rest will be revealed next year

86. Raggedy dolls : ANNS

87. __ review : PEER



88. Mower handle? : DEERE

90. Devoured : EATEN

91. Born, in Bordeaux : NEE

92. Brick-shaped candy : PEZ

93. __-mouthed: inclined to curse : POTTY 

94. Brown in the kitchen : ALTON - Even on South Park



95. NYC line with a Babylon branch : LIRR

97. Bluffing words, perhaps : I RAISE

99. Thick slice : SLAB

103. Forearm bones : RADII

106. Mauna __ : LOA - Maybe not the best place to build a house



109. Moronic : INANE

110. Chipotle option : MILD

113. GoPro competitor : NIKON

114. Sneaker brand : AVIA

115. Muddy ground : MIRE

116. One lacking roots : NOMAD

117. Crockpot dishes : STEWS

118. Min. divisions : SECS

119. Assist in a gym : SPOT


120. "Ciao!" : SEE YA


Down

1. High-end hotel : RITZ

2. Grimm meanie : OGRE

3. The dot-com boom coincided with much of it : CLINTON ERA

4. Org. for the great outdoors : KOA

5. Seeks earnestly : SOLICITS

6. Free Wi-Fi provider, often : CAFE - It must be everywhere now (Another FREE)


7. __ Romeo : ALFA

8. Sports testing subjects : STEROIDS - Hmmm...


9. A.L. East team : TOR

10. "Ixnay" : NO DICE

11. Island ring : ATOLL - After nuclear bomb testing on these there's not much left AT ALL

12. Kiln, e.g. : STOVE

13. Sweet spot? : HOME - HOME is the place that when you have to go there, they have to take you in

14. Black Sea resort : ODESSA - Turns out, there's a lot of 'em here too beside Texas.



15. Property owner's income : RENTS

16. Where to find flat beer drinkers? : KARAOKE BAR - Love the cluing. Probably not many "sharp" drinkers there

17. Tied, briefly : IN OT because they were 38. Tied : EVEN

18. Endangered state bird : NENE

24. Sounds of discovery : O HO'S - "Hey, my candy bar melted when I walked by the microwave magnetron. Hmmm..."

29. Indian pastries : SAMOSAS

30. __ eyes : ROVING - Author George Axelrod posted that this is when they start


32. Lover of Aphrodite : ARES

34. Poppycock : ROT

36. More Spartan : BARER - My first college dorm room couldn't have been BARER

37. Cream : BEST

40. "It's what you do" insurance company : GEICO

41. Run : BLEED - No red shirts in wash with your white ones!

42. Picture file acronym : JPEG

43. Aspect : FACET

44. Gathered (in) : RAKED - Literally here


45. Peaceful relations : AMITY

46. Robin Williams title role : POPEYE

48. Trapper's prize : PELT

50. "You'd like this" : TRY ONE - They're FREE!

54. Tropical fruit used in salsas : PAPAYA

55. Smith of Fox News : SHEP - Smith

57. Trims in the garden : PRUNES

58. Huff and puff : PANT

62. Charlotte __ : RUSSE



63. Daisylike bloom : ASTER

65. Rhone tributary : SAONE - Pour moi une nouvelle rivière (A new river for me)

66. Building guideline : SPEC

67. Large amount : OCEAN - "It's gonna take an OCEAN, Of calamine lotion"

68. Mezzo Marilyn : HORNE

69. Carnival treat : FUNNEL CAKE

71. Volunteer's phrase : I'LL DO IT

73. Question of responsibility : AM I TO BLAME

74. Cheap collegiate cupful : RAMEN - An average bag costs $0.13. You could have 3 of these per day for for a year's total of $142.65

.75. WWII submachine gun : STEN

77. Media mogul Murdoch : RUPERT

78. Santa __ Valley: California wine region : YNEZ

79. Violent anger : FURY - Also Saturday morning TV for this Baby Boomer

83. "Go for it!" : LET 'ER RIP



84. Rowdy sorts : HELLIONS

85. "Ciao" : TATA

89. Some "Doctor Who" creatures : ETS

92. Hogs the mirror, say : PREENS - No mirror required here


93. Zoo animals with Chinese names : PANDAS

94. "Yeah, right!" : AS IF

96. "No duh!" : I KNOW

97. Cry of surrender : I GIVE 

98. Museum piece : RELIC

100. Anchovy containers : TINS - People packed into Aluminum containers


101. Part of A.A. Milne? : INIT

102. Latin trio part : AMAS

104. Flying start? : AERO

105. OFF! ingredient : DEET

107. Aveeno rival : OLAY

108. "The Aviator" Oscar nominee : ALDA - Leo DiCaprio didn't want him to play the villainous part at first because Alan was too nice.

111. Radio settings : FMS

112. Sushi roll topping : ROE

Having navigated my write-up, you are now FREE to comment at WILL




38 comments:

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Thanks, CC and Husker!

Swell puzzle and expo.

Did not know ALTON. Otherwise OK.

Have a great day!

OwenKL said...

Ten empty cells, all in Washington and Oregon, when I hit the red. Ixnay on TRade OFFER and eRoS, everything else correct or blank. Clearing those left me with the toeholds I needed to fill everything else in!

On a personal note, I'm laid up with a twisted ankle again. I don't recall twisting it -- my guess is I get tangled in the blankets while I'm asleep. (Does this happen to anybody else, too?) It'll pass in a couple days, but meanwhile the LW is mad at me for not being abe to drive her to her meetings, and needing her help to get anything to eat or drink. I can barely hobble as far as the bathroom. Boy is she going to go into a FURY some future time when she has to empty bedpans, too! Not that I'll be too happy on occasions when our roles are reversed!

{C+, B-, B, B+.}

Home of the brave, land of the FREE,
The COUNTRY stretches from sea to sea!
In crossword grid STYLE,
Finishing is a TRIAL --
A worthy journey for a bold ODYSSEY!

I HEAR a pest-man from ORKIN
Put a RAT-TRAP under his organ.
The beastie would play
An etude in A,
Now the ORKIN man's organ ain't workin'!

A co-ed who came from ODESSA
Attempted to seduce her proffessa
"I'll even do kinky
So my grade isn't stinky!"
But his answer would only depress-a

A New Yorker was homeless, no place
Could he go to escape the RAT race.
His job was high-paying,
But still he kept saying
I can't lose my ideal PARKING SPACE!

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Wow, I think I found every single way to go wrong on this one: FREE COFFEE/TRIAL OFFER, MAYO/TACO, ORTHO/ORKIN, TICKET TAKER/AGENT, SAUTE/ALTON, ad nauseum. Muddled through to victory in the end, but it was a struggle. Theme? Of course, not. Thanks, C.C. and Husker.

Speaking of WiFI, DW had to buy a WiFi contract while in Munich. It must work -- I got an email from her complaining about it. I sent one back complaining about the kittens with diarrhea. I think she got the better deal.

TTP said...

Good morning all.

CC gave us a FREE throw today.

Well, it wasn't that easy. Remember the puzzle solving approach from The Rascals Seems to me, We got to solve it individually ?

Didn't solve it in DO time, but I was under an hour with some stumbles. Spots instead of SPACE, Loving before ROVING, ORTHO before ORKIN, Bah before ROT, AETNA before GEICO, ... initial misspellings of SAMOSAS and KARAOKE... Who let all of those foreign words into our language ? (Just kidding Yellowrocks.)

Husker Gary, I was expecting a Mike and Frank "FREE STYLE Pick" from you. As well, something about Buffet at... well, you know. None the less, I always appreciate your illuminations.

GRAPPLE - something you do when you wrastle... Er, um, I mean rassle.
LIRR - Only because it is the most common NYC (line, branch etc) in crossword puzzles.

Expert in fixtures must be Kohler. Moen, Delta and Sterling don't fit. Oh, wait... Futures. DOH ! My mind was in the POTTY room.

Moronic = INANE. Just one time I would like to see idocy. No, never mind, that would make me an idot.

ALTON Brown in the kitchen ? Not fooled. We tuned in to "Good Eats" nightly. Now it is Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. HEY ! It's a free world.

Anonymous T, using words from this puzzle, I think you can come up with a good short story about your ALFA ODYSSEY....

And now, one from the Motor City Madman Ted Nugent - Free For All.

CanadianEh! said...

Fun Sunday puzzle (I actually did it yesterday as we get it in our Sat. Paper). Thanks C.C. and HuskerG.

NE was the last to fall.. Some clever cluing.. I was misdirected with Run=Bled and Cream. I noted the TOR shout-out to our Blue Jays.

The Toronto zoo has Chinese Pandas also.

Off to see the grandchildren!

Big Easy said...

I GIVE. I will admit that until I filled FREE FOR ALL I had no idea of how to connect the theme clues. But most of the puzzle was fairly easy. I had mucho trouble with the NASH, OTTO, SAMOSA area as I didn't know any of them. I even tried George ORWELL for the 'futures expert' but that was not to be, and at that point I thought I was DOOMed until my LOVING eyes became ROVING.

Charlotte RUSSE- never heard of it. I just looked it up and there are three stores in town.
CLINTON ERA- they tried to extend it but the voters said NO DICE.

Congrats C.C. for two days in a row of 'big puzzles', LA Times and WSJ. And H.G. you write ups are always very illustrated and humorous.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

The delight in doing CC's puzzle counteracts the dismay of seeing big, fluffy snowflakes falling fast and furious outside my window. It's a pretty sight but one I could wait a little longer to see! Yesterday, it was sunny and 63; as Tin would say, "Go figure!" Anyway, I found this more difficult than most Sunday offerings, probably because I had no inkling of the theme until the reveal. The title meant nothing to me until I filled in Free For All, then the lightbulb went on! Perps were definitely needed in many areas to get the Tada, but it finally came, sans help.

Thanks, CC, for brightening my day and thanks, HG, for the wonderful write-up and striking visuals.

Have a great day.

maripro said...

What a great way to start the week - a witty write-up from H.G. and a challenging puzzle from C.C. In view of the coming holiday, I give special thanks for you both.
I erred with "biote" and spent a lot of time in the Northeast. Once I traded a Tony for an Obie, things fell into place.
Have a lovely day, everyone.

MJ said...

Greetings to all!

Great puzzle today, C.C.! I did need the reveal to get the theme. Favorite clue/answer was "Expert in futures" for ORACLE. Unknowns were Marilyn HORNE, SHEP Smith, Miranda OTTO, and Charlotte RUSSE, who I assumed was a person until reading the expo. Thanks, Husker Gary, for guiding us through this fine Sunday offering.

Enjoy the day!

Bill G. said...

I enjoyed the puzzle as usual. Thanks CC and Gary.

The only theme entry that gave me pause was FREE SILVER. It's not a term that I'm familiar with. I'd be happy to take some though...

JJM said...

C.C. Fun Puzzle, but very unlike you to get something wrong when it comes Baseball. You must've had a little brain cramp. As an example of who pioneered Free Agency.... It was Curt Flood (the CF for StL.) that opened up the door for Baseball Free Agency. Not Lou Brock Lou Brock will go down forever as the WORST trade the Cubs ever made when we traded him to StL. for Ernie Broglio. I was 6 and even I still remember that one!
NBD!

Bluehen said...

Interesting, fun puzzle with just enough crunch to keep it intriguing . Well done, CC. Thanks. I always like your animated, illuminating expos, Gary, and this one was no exception.

Learning moment for me: Charlotte Russe is a womenswear retailer? To me it is a fussy, contrived, fancy dessert perhaps akin to a trifle. . . or a tiramisu. Live and learn.

HG, that KGB picture: that's Illya Kuryakin, right?

Cya!

TTP said...

JJM, Good catch on Lou v Curt. It never registered.

Maybe Husker Gary was testing us ?

Does NBD mean No Big Deal ?

Anonymous said...

Funny. "POPEYE" was in my news feed this week. Apparently Shelley Duvall is in a bad way and believes Robin Williams is not dead and still speaks with him. I couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the story as I was too embarrassed for her.

Lucina said...

A splendid puzzle, C.C. though I had to GRAPPLE with the many and varied FACETS of it. Overall, it filled somewhat easily. Once I saw the reveal it brightened my way. Many thanks and to Gary as well for a sharp expo with illuminating pics.

ORTHO gave way to ORKIN when KARAOKE APPEARED. I've never heard of GoPro but NIKON emerged with perps. When she was a teenager, my daughter loved to shop at Charlotte RUSSE. And sadly, a DIW at AMITOBLAME. Initially I had BAT instead of MAT and didn't go back to check. Drat!

I just love to see USAIN Bolt run! He is a wonder.

Otherwise, the solving ODDYSEY ended well.

And finally, our good weather is here to stay for at least five or six months!

Have a magnificent day, everyone!

C6D6 Peg said...

Thanks, C.C., for another great offering this Sunday. Fave clue was "Where to find flat beer drinkers". Genius!

Thanks, HG, for a grand tour, as always.

Yellowrocks said...

CC, great puzzle today and in yesterday's WSJ. HG, always a treat to read your blog.

KARAOKE means empty orchestra, empty because it has no singer. Wiki says, -clipped compound of Japanese kara "empty" and ōkesutora "orchestra". The second half "oke(sutora) actually is a loan word from English, the shortening of their version of the English word orchestra. The Japanese borrowed air conditioner and call it something similar to EYA KON. Our teacher was surprised that we could not automatically understand their version of loan words.

I have never seen a Charlotte Russe store. I always think of the dessert.

I loved this AM's early snowfall. So beautiful, light and feathery on all the trees. I love snow until the end of Jan. or the middle of Feb. By then I have had enough. I would miss having no snow at all in warmer climes. I also like the average cold in winter. When it drops below average to the single digits, not so much.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-MEA CULPA! Nah, I wasn’t testing anybody. I knew it was Curt Flood who helped get MLB players to FREE AGENCY, looked up Curt Flood and read about the Curt Flood decision for 10 minutes. But when I posted the info and image my feeble brain flipped over to Lou Brock who played with Curt for a few years in the St Louis outfield. Hey, a good excuse and $4 gets you coffee at Starbucks. Thanks for the catch and gentle kick in the billfold.
-Thanks for the kind comments.

Anonymous said...

One more Saturday/Sunday entries like this week's LAT puzzles and I end my subscription. Two weeks in a row unable to get even half way through them. can't take the frustration any more. Inanity and cleverness aren't synonymous. Oh Merle, where are you when we need you most??? How about some reruns so these "newbies" can learn how GOOD puzzles are constructed?? One more week, LAT, and you're history for me. Thanks for destroying what used to be a pleasant weekend past time for me.

Unknown said...

Biode...never heard of it...and Cream clue meaning "best"???? When best is used in sports it normally connotes a close game. There are plenty of adjectives for Cream...Destroyed, blasted, annihilated, clobbered etc. In fact I wonder if reporters have a list that they use when giving scores. But I stand by my assertion that "best" never ever ever means Cream nor vice versa. Other than that putting the grid aside while I watched my beloved Lions ( thanks to the Cubs, the new worst franchise in pro sports history) go to 6-4; offer appeared and the top center was filled; and CIA and FBI gave way to KGB and the entire east fell. Good puzzle but I never got the theme until you told me. First rain in 10 months here in the OC, I think I'll go walk in it !

Good Riddance said...

Wow. Ok then.

Perhaps you should try some easier puzzles until you gain sufficient experience. Then you might be able to attempt solving some late week QUALITY puzzles like these. Also, you might consider directing your comments to the appropriate venue, rather than this blog.

Farewell. Your comments here won't be missed.

desper-otto said...

Chuck, hope you don't melt away in that rain. Hey, it's been known to happen. Have you never heard of the "cream of the crop?"

Jayce said...

Man oh man, C.C. has done it again. Insanely clever cluing, taking full advantage of ambiguous verb tenses (ate vs EATEN) and ambiguity between noun and verb (Digs in the snow). I love love loved the flat beer clue! It reminds me of a discussion we had in a linguistics class about the ambiguity of language; the example to illustrate the issue was the phrase "white house painter." Does that mean a painter of that white house or a house painter who is white? Same with flat beer drinker; are we talking about drinkers of flat beer or beer drinkers who are flat? Which noun does the adjective describe? Genius! I love word play like that.

"Cream of the crop" means best of the bunch, and "We creamed 'em" means we bested 'em but good! Interesting how "cream" and "best" both have two equivalent meanings like that. Creme de la creme.

Best wishes to you all.


Argyle said...

And the best cream goes to Royal Albert Hall.

Yellowrocks said...

CREAM of the crop is the best.
I taught my fifth graders biomes.
Anon, puzzle difficulty progresses throughout the week. Monday and Tuesday for those who like it easy. Friday, Saturday and Sunday for more of a challenge. Something for everyone.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Nice Sunday puzzle. Thanks, CC. I hit Tivo to get Miranda OTTO. I loved Homeland, but didn't remember her or her character. My favorite today was "Chipotle option" for TO GO. Yup - eat at Chipotle and you will GO, and go, and go, and go... I know - cheap shot, but good potty humor. Least favorite today was the cross of BIOME and SAMOSAS. Having never heard of either, I SWAGged that the pastries might be a palindrome, so had BIOsE and SAsOSAS for my only bad cell. Too many erasures and gotten-only-by-perps to list today. I got the theme, but too late to help with solving.

Also, thanks to Gary for another solid explanation.

With risk of troll feeding - anon, my paper carries the LAT and King Syndicate crosswords. The King puzzles are how I cut my teeth, and I still use it for solace when the LAT has handed me my hat. Also, if you are taking the paper solely for the LAT crosswords I suggest that you need to look at other options.

Abejo said...

Good evening, folks. Thank you, C.C., for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Husker Gary, for a fine review.

Worked on this off and on throughout the afternoon. Finally got it tonight. Phew!

Had a hard time getting a foothold up North, so I headed to the SE corner. That is when I got the theme FREE FOR ALL. That helped with the theme answers.

Lots of unknowns. Perps got me through most of them.

Liked LET ER RIP.

Guessed at SAONE and got it.

USAIN again. We just had that. This time I remembered it.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

Yellowrocks said...

I wrote my post half an hour before I published it. I was called away and when I got back to it I didn't check to see that others here said it first. Great minds etc.

I have made homemade samosas and seen them in delis ready to reheat.

TX Ms said...

Thanks, CC, for a super-fun Sunday! First round, I filled in "rant" for "huff and puff," and never went back to correct it when "grapple" appeared. H-G, you outdid yourself on the review! Fav - "sharp" drinkers? lol

H-G - thanks for the education on all the Odessas in the US. Putin, I imagine wasn't from Odessa, Russia, but he looked dangerous in his younger KGB days.

Indian bread yesterday (not nan or naan), and today Indian pastry? No fair :-) But "biome" perped it.

As others have mentioned, "Charlotte Russe," the dessert, always comes to mind. I never knew there were stores by that name until it appeared some time ago in a c|w - and promptly forgot.

Have a great week, everyone!

Michael said...

And since we're looking at a picture of Vladimir Vladimirovich today, and with an deep apology to OwenKL...

There once was a girl from Lugansk
Who went to the Friday night dancesk.
Once she saw Putin,
she thought with a grin
Maybe we'll have some romancesk!

(I know: it's terrible, but it's been floating around in the back of my mind ever since the whole Novorossiya balloon went up. My penance, a 9:40 appointment with Physical Therapy.)

Bill G. said...

Just my opinion... You guys who show up in blue but are relatively new around here, it would be nice to know something about you like where you live, what you do for profit and for fun, interests, etc. You can do this by editing your profile. I would appreciate it and I'll bet others would too. Just my two-cents worth...

I have been listening to a very unusual sound coming from my skylights. There is this strange liquid falling from the sky in drops. I've heard about it but have hardly ever experienced it in a while. I am actually enjoying it though I know it won't keep up long enough to suit me. Oh well, it's nice while it lasts.

Anonymous T said...

Lurk Say:

Oh, TTP, the ODESSY I could tell
Of getting the ALFA Romeo --
From Florida to Texas
In the heat of August
And breaking down in the French Quata'

{F-}

I'm suspect of my memory so won't elaborate on my time in the Quarter waiting on repair... A more recent example of failing memory: I swear I got a Kitchenaid dishwasher but the Bosch showed up yesterday. In fact, the receipt confirms that's what I bought(?!?) How did I misremember that? [No matter, it cleans the plates sans fur balls CED :-)]

{B+, B, C+, A}

ALTON Brown taught me to brine the bird. I'll be following his recipe Wed. night after Eldest sings at HOU's Nutcracker. MIL's brining the pie!

Argyle - Cream is one of the best. Thanks.

Play tomorrow. Cheers, -T

Lucina said...

Bill G.:
We're supposed to have some of those unfamiliar drops here, too. It appears to have started west of us already so I expect it will travel east through the night.

Fans of the Durrells:
How did you like the ending? That was an unexpected twist, don't you think?

Bill G. said...

Lucina, I'm a fan of the Durrells but I haven't watched the latest episode yet. Her kids probably would have turned out 'better' if she had been a firmer parent but then the show and her kids would be blander. I didn't realize there was going to be an ending tonight. Now I'm not quite sure what to expect. Hmm...

Are you watching Westworld? Odd show. Interesting but hard to follow for me.

Wilbur Charles said...

Bill G. I guess I'm one of the guilty. I won't edit tonight but this week...

CC! One clever puzzle. Good misdirection on the chipotle clues. I had TACO staring me in the face and left TACH, as in rev'ing the taste buds. Likewise NIKON.

I tried some weird variation of IKSNAY

I think on my profile I'll put "Getting very stupid in my old age".

Yet I managed to get the rest. I was lucky in that I needed the bottom half to get a foot hold and there was the theme.

Loved the clueing, agree with Jayce 100%; great write-up and Owen's undergrading(sic) again. Loved the first one.

YR, you have a heart of gold. Following your example, I'll say to anonymae everywhere that you just have to keep slogging. Just give your brain a chance

Finally. I misplaced Sat. I was getting there and while driving the V8 can hit. 42 Duh. I was thinking of Summer of 42.

Hope someone is still out here

WC

Picard said...

A fun run that I worked through steadily with success.

Never heard of SHEP Smith, OTTO Miranda, ALTON Brown or Charlotte RUSSE (dessert, store, person, or otherwise).

But FREE SILVER was a learning moment worth remembering.

I considered UNveiL before UNSEAL. And "uncle" before I GIVE. And "font" for Character set. The latter was a fun mis-direction.

For the Latin trio part I was thinking of Vini, Vidi, Vici. Why is AMAS a trio?

Argyle said...

Amo, Amas, Amat. Latin. Can't say I remember much more than that.

Cliff Blau said...

Curt Flood's lawsuit had nothing to do with baseball players getting free agency. That happened as a result of Marvin Miller negotiating arbitration.