Theme: B MOVIES (38A. Low-budget cinema ... and, literally, the four longest puzzle answers ) - All four moves are in the pattern of B* B*.
17A. 1980 Clint Eastwood film about a Wild West show : BRONCO BILLY
23A. 1965 Jerry Lewis/Tony Curtis farce involving flight attendants : BOEING BOEING. Heard of this one.
51A. 2005 Christian Bale superhero thriller : BATMAN BEGINS. This one was popular.
62A. 2003 Disney animated feature with talking grizzlies : BROTHER BEAR
Hello Everyone. Boomer here. I am looking forward to March Madness, however I am a terrible fan. I watched many Minnesota Gopher games on TV this year, some good and some bad. I don't have much confidence that they will extend their season too far in Milwaukee. This puzzle was not a big hit either. I can say that I never attended any of these movies. Seems as if some were all a Big Box Office Bust.
1. Franklin's faith : DEISM - I suppose this refers to Benjamin but I am not familiar with this faith.
6. Civil rights org. : NAACP -
11. Nursery offering : SOD - Spring is nearly here, nurseries will be buzzing next month.
14. More than just saber-rattling : AT WAR - did not like this clue.
15. Not as well : ILLER - Another stretch of the English language. I never heard anyone say they were iller.
16. Numero __ : UNO
19. Elton's title : SIR - I remember when rock was young. (So was I).
20. Forward : SEND ON
21. "Isn't that something" : GEE - A Whiz of a word.
22. "Hold it right there!" : WHOA - A Roy Rogers command to Trigger.
26. Prey for cheetahs : IMPALAS - We rented an Impala in Las Vegas but we were not Cheetahs. Vegas frowns on Cheetahs.
29. Little League airer : ESPN - From Williamsport, PA. But thank you ESPN for hanging in there and televising a bowling tournament once in a while.
30. Fishing spot : PIER
31. GPS suggestion : RTE
33. Milk source : UDDER - Utter nonsense - our milk source is the dairy case at the grocery store.
37. Pro : ACE - Top of a royal flush. a pro is not always an ace.
41. Program file ending : EXE
42. Two-step, e.g. : DANCE - How about NCAA big March event?
44. College URL ending : EDU
45. Lyra's brightest star : VEGA - This is another Chevrolet in this puzzle.
46. Et __ : ALIA - Stumped me here.
49. Really dull : INSIPID
55. Jackson 5 hairdo : AFRO - I don't remember Afros on the five. I do remember Dr. J and Oscar Gamble. Michael Jordan changed all that.
56. Item under many a top : BRA
57. Requiring quarters, briefly : COIN-OP You don't see many vending machines taking coins any more. They all ask for your folding money.
61. __ Mini: Nintendo console : WII - Never played WII. I heard they had bowling though.
64. Hip-hop Dr. : DRE - Sorry, I guess I am not into Hip-Hop.
65. New York mayor before Koch : BEAME (Abe)
66. Top-flight : ELITE
67. "Of course!" : YES
68. Asp cousin : ADDER - An asp is a snake. An adder is the guy at the rental car desk, figuring your bill.
69. Robert's "Out of Africa" role : DENYS - Never saw this movie either.
1. Puts on gently : DABS - as in make up
2. Basic French verb : ETRE - I took two quarters of French but I only remember French fries and toast.
3. Victor's cry : I WON - Good for you
4. Shallows hazard : SAND BAR - Can be a bummer for a boat.
5. Hip dude : MR COOL - The Fonz???
6. Tip of a Bic : NIB
7. Set straight : ALIGN
8. Claim : ALLEGE
9. Tabloid subjects : CELEBS -- Tabloids are stupid. Watch gossip channels
10. Snoop : PRY - I don't know about snoop. Sometimes you have to pry open your wallet.
11. Rolls with rice : SUSHI - This is a fishy subject, I have never eaten sushi and I am pretty sure I never will.
12. Salad bar sliver : ONION .
13. Bandanna cousin : DO- RAG - Not sure if you can cover an Afro with one of these.
18. Like challenging push-ups : ONE-ARM - Never could do a one- arm push-up.
22. Go on (one's way) : WEND - I think you have to go crooked to wend.
24. Comparison phrase : IS TO
25. Composer's work : OPUS
26. Tablet with Mini and Pro versions : iPAD - I see a ton of these around - The iToys made Apple rich and famous
27. Flaky mineral : MICA
28. Hammer end : PEEN - Others have a claw
32. Genesis matriarch : EVE - Apple picker.
34. Thought-provoking : DEEP - I have not provoked too many deep thoughts about this puzzle.
35. Army vet : EX-GI
36. Predict using, as tea leaves : READ - and tell a fortune.
38. Banjo legend Fleck : BELA
39. "Gotcha, man" : I DIG - Maynard G. Krebs made this popular
40. Special Olympics founder Shriver : EUNICE - Sorry, never heard of her, but I donated all of my bowling trophies to the special Olympics. They put on new plates and sometimes figures as necessary and give them to smiling kids.
43. Hunter's garb, for short : CAMO - What used to be Vietnam and Iraq attire is now fashionable at home.
45. Easily seen : VISIBLE
47. Deep-seated : INBRED
48. Using one's passport, say : ABROAD - I think you even need a passport now to go to Canada.
50. Didn't sleep quietly : SNORED
51. Indecent : BAWDY - Some St. Patrick's Day decorations
52. Burning : AFIRE - Johnny Cash love.
53. Takes a shot at : TRIES
54. Cake words Alice abided by :- EAT ME
58. Düsseldorf denial : NEIN - I wonder how Germans say "Nope" ?
59. Like granola bars : OATY - Mares eat oats and does eat oats but little lambs eat ivy.
60. W. or LBJ : PRES - I was around for both of these guys. Ike and Truman also.
62. Management major's deg. : BBA - Bachelor of Business Administration.
63. __ Honor : HER
Note from C.C.:
Our Melissa B has redesigned the Adopt an Inmate website. She never mentioned her work in her Crossword Corner blog write-ups, but she has been totally devoted to her "Adopt an Inmate" cause the past few years. Melissa has published many stories and artwork from the inmates. Her site has become a great source of resources for many inmates and their families. So proud of her work!