Theme: April Showers - from mist to inundation.
16A. Awkward situation: FINE HOW-DO-YOU-DO
24A. Weekly paycheck, e.g.: STEADY INCOME
46A. Golf practice facility: DRIVING RANGE
60A. Start of a hopeful rhyme about bad weather, and a hint to what the first word of 16-, 24- and 46-Across may describe: RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY
Argyle here. Brock continues to produce Monday puzzles with the same solve, three different words brought together by the unifier. Nothing wrong with that, plus, he provides me with swell set-ups for the theme titles.
1. Spiders' fly catchers: WEBS
5. It forms over a healing abrasion: SCAB
9. Casual talk: CHAT
13. Mine, to Marcel: À MOI
14. Batted ball into the dugout, say: FOUL
15. Lane at the Daily Planet: LOIS
19. Mournful poem: ELEGY
20. IDs shown at airports: LICENSES. Passports for international flights though.
21. Close tightly again: RESEAL
23. Business suit go-with: TIE
31. Pose a question: ASK
34. Actress Shire: TALIA. Yo! Adrian!
35. Courtroom hammer: GAVEL
36. Sheet music symbol: CLEF
38. Henry or Jane of "On Golden Pond": FONDA
40. Walrus feature: TUSK
41. Vague emanations: AURAs
43. Gymnast Comaneci: NADIA. She received a perfect score of 10.0 at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.
45. Live __: Taco Bell slogan: MAS. "Live More!"
49. Bullring shout: ¡OLÉ!
50. Anatomical sculpture subjects: TORSOS, or TORSI but not TORSIS.
54. Signed, as a deal: AGREED TO
59. Skin transplant, e.g.: GRAFT
62. Catcher's glove: MITT
63. Swedish furniture giant: IKEA
64. Scrabble square: TILE
65. Hearty meal: STEW
66. Where Anna danced with the king: SIAM. "The King and I"
67. Doesn't feel well: AILS
1. Nilla product: WAFER
2. Novelist Zola: ÉMILE. I think it's time for Émile Zola to go back on the crossword shelf.
3. What fillets lack: BONES
4. All-out attacks: SIEGES
5. Northern Cal. airport: SFO. (San Francisco International Airport)
6. Monastic hood: COWL
7. Quattro automaker: AUDI
8. Political alliance: BLOC
9. Genetic duplication: CLONING
10. Shelter adoptee: HOUSECAT
11. Helper: AIDE
12. General __ chicken: TSO'S
17. High-end hotel chain: HYATT
18. Bigfoot cousin: YETI
22. Metaphorical new thing to "turn over": LEAF
25. As a companion: ALONG
26. Iraqi money: DINAR
27. When tripled, "and so on": YADDA, YADDA, YADDA.
28. Egg cell: OVUM
29. Flat-topped elevation: MESA
30. Lodge fellows: ELKS
31. Many a prep sch.: ACAD
32. Speak indistinctly: SLUR
33. Emmy nominee Russell of "The Americans": KERI. She's come a long way from the Mickey Mouse Club. Also she has nice 61D. Pinup's leg: GAM
37. Underdog's opposite: FAVORITE
39. "__ Misbehavin'": AINT
42. Feature of words beginning with "wr": SILENT W
44. Disco era term: À GO-GO
47. At no time, to bards: NE'ER
48. List of mistakes: ERRATA
51. 2005 slasher film sequel: SAW II
52. Considering everyone: OF ALL
53. Eyelid maladies: STYES
54. Weapons: ARMS
55. Trot or gallop: GAIT
56. Orator's platform: DAIS
57. Polynesian carving: TIKI
58. Most eligible for service: ONE A
Note from C.C.:
Dear Agnes (Irish Miss) made her New York Times crossword debut today. Congrats, Agnes!
|Eileen (sister of Agnes) & Agnes, Nov 22, 2013|