Theme: Size Matters
17. Mom-and-pop stores : SMALL BUSINESSES
29. Alfalfa, Darla and friends, with "the" : LITTLE RASCALS
39. "God bless us, every one!" Dickens character : TINY TIM
47. Game with windmills, ramps and such : MINIATURE GOLF
62. Waterspout climber of song : ITSY BITSY SPIDER
Melissa here. This was probably the fastest Tuesday solve I can remember. I held back on a few guesses waiting for perps to be certain. Only one word I wasn't sure of - FILIAL, and one misspell. Theme was simple and obvious - and still a fun solve. The first two theme answers are plural and the rest are singular - but still a tight theme.
1. Valuable stone : GEM
1. Valuable stone : GEM
4. Hamilton and Burr, notably : FOES
8. Find incredibly funny : ROAR AT
14. Word for a Latin lover : AMO
15. Cookbook author Rombauer : IRMA . Not ERMA.
16. Not certain : UNSURE
20. Vietnam's capital : HANOI
21. Part of MST: Abbr. : STD . Waited for this one to fill in, since it could have been anything.
22. FDR's successor : HST
23. Serpent's tooth : FANG . At first I misread this as Serpent's tongue - and wondered why there weren't enough letters for FORKED.
26. Irreverence : IMPIETY
33. Biblical verb ending : ETH .
34. Quick hellos : HI'S
35. Curbs, with "in" : REINS . This was my mispell, my fingers wanted to type REIGNS and the G got entered before I could stop them.
38. Blackjack half : ACE
42. Wedding notice word : NEE
43. What hares and mares do : RHYME . Sneaky.
45. Long, long time : EON
46. La Brea __ Pits : TAR
52. Coiffures : HAIRDOS . Those are both great words.
54. Move, in real estate lingo : RELO . Relocate.
55. Part of MST : ESS . Also sneaky (and clever), especially after 21A.
56. Tango maneuver : DIP
58. Higher than : ABOVE
67. California's San __: Hearst Castle locale : SIMEON
68. Filming locales : SETS
69. 401(k) kin : IRA
70. Six times cinq : TRENTE
71. VCR insert : TAPE
72. Gov. Cuomo's domain : NYS
1. Deep cut : GASH
2. 2016 Best Actress Stone of "La La Land" : EMMA
3. Pained sound : MOAN
4. Like a child's love for a parent : FILIAL . "Of or due from a son or daughter."
5. Heavenly sphere : ORB
6. Grounded bird : EMU
7. Fresh talk : SASS
9. Single : ONE
10. Beast of burden : ASS
11. Does without much thought : RUSHES INTO
12. "Give it __!" : A REST
13. Cantankerous : TESTY
18. Barn storage space : LOFT
19. "How sweet __!" : IT IS
24. Classic grape soda : NEHI
25. Smile that may be silly : GRIN
27. Eggplant __: Italian entrée, briefly : PARM
28. L'eau land? : ILE
29. Shakespearean king with three daughters : LEAR
30. Nagging desire : ITCH
31. College freshman's comment about why his parents call so often : THEY MISS ME . Aw.
32. Until now : AS YET
36. Patricia of "Hud" : NEAL
37. Medieval laborer : SERF
39. Take care of : TEND
40. Vacation option : TOUR
41. Memo heading : IN RE
44. Defunct Soviet space station : MIR
48. First-aid fluid : IODINE
49. "__ happens ... " : AS IT
50. Pass, as time : ELAPSE
53. No longer sleeping : ASTIR
57. "Hey, get a load of this" : PSST
59. Chief Norse god : ODIN
60. Quite : VERY
61. Significant periods : ERAS
63. Kyoto cash : YEN
64. Droid : BOT
65. Positive vote : YEA
66. Gas additive brand : STP