Husker Gary here again on a Wednesday with the distinct pleasure of reviewing yet another puzzle by our favorite new pair of constructors - Agnes and Zhouqin - aka Irish Miss and C.C.
These two lovely ladies went vertical today as the theme fill and the reveal shown below were all standing up. The themers are all highlighted in red and green and the reveal is in all green because each green part of the theme answers can have SHEET appended to their, uh, BOTTOMS to make another common phrase.
3*Regarding the subject at hand..." : ON THAT SCORE/SCORE SHEET - Here is what I regard as the most famous SCORE SHEET ever. It shows the twenty-seven Dodgers who came up against Don Larsen and were all retired in order in Larsen's 1956 Perfect World Series Game.
19. *Like leisure suits and Nehru jackets : OUT OF STYLE/ STYLE SHEET - All blogs have "STYLE SHEETS" that can be modified with elements at the top for presentations like what we bloggers use here
21. *Nike competitor : NEW BALANCE/BALANCE SHEET - America's BALANCE SHEET has been out of whack for quite a while
24. *Major-league : BIG TIME/TIME SHEET - Some have issues with the machine that generates TIME SHEETS
And the reveal for Agnes and C.C.:
25. Bed cover ... or, literally, what the end of each answer to a starred clue is : BOTTOM SHEET - Yeah, constructing puzzles and getting that BOTTOM SHEET on is not always that easy
Now for the DOPE SHEET on the rest of their always fun fill:
5. Land formerly ruled by a shah : IRAN and 27. 5-Across capital : TEHRAN
13. Van starter? : MINI
14. Stuffed shells : TACOS
16. Data, for instance : INFO
17. "Big __" Delaney: "Sons of Anarchy" character : OTTO
18. "Tsk tsk" : SHAME ON YOU
20. Hawaiian priests : KAHUNAS Or burgers from Pulp Fiction
22. " ... bug in __" : A RUG - Snug as a...
23. Skating jump : AXEL - Wow!
24. Petrol pumper : BRIT - About £1.19/liter or $5.74/gallon
25. Went for the lure : BIT
28. Decide : OPT
30. Starbucks amenity : WIFI - Nothing else there is free
32. As an example : FOR ONE - Yeah, I believe Ken Jennings would think that. :-)
34. "Street Dreams" rapper : NAS
35. Hosiery hue : BEIGE
37. Get : FETCH
38. Stretchy synthetic : LYCRA - My daughter wants me to buy some LYCRA biking shorts that have padding in very sensitive areas. I don't want to look like a 70-yr-old guy trying to look like he's 25.
40. Inc. relative : LTD
41. Ravi Shankar's instrument : SITAR - Ravi wasn't into the 60's hippie scene despite what was written about him
42. How some tuna is packed : IN OIL
43. Swiss chocolatier since 1845 : LINDT
45. Mama bear, in Tabasco : OSA
46. Standard : NORMAL
48. More than a few : MANY
49. Bishops and knights : MEN - Here a bishop and a knight have the King (who as usual is only in a supporting role) checkmated
50. Animal common in rebus puzzles : EWE
51. Permission slip : NOTE
53. "Too bad" : ALAS - poor Yorick...
55. Pac-12 team : UCLA
56. King of fiction : STEPHEN - Whenever I see a '57 Plymouth Fury...
59. Deep-fried carnival confection : FUNNEL CAKE
63. Dad, to Dumas : PERE - Alexandre Dumas' PERE a été Thomas-Alexandre Dumas
64. Morales of "The Brink" : ESAI
65. Corn Belt towers : SILOS - Omaha artists have made SILOS into works of art along I-80
67. It's outstanding : DEBT
68. Small pie : TART
69. Thames school : ETON - On June 10, ETON lost to Wellington in Threepenny 1 Cricket by 50 runs. Bit of a sticky wicket!
1. "No harm done" : I'M OK - Ah, back to my counseling days and Transactional Analysis
2. Baba ghanouj bread : PITA
4. Iowa's __ City : SIOUX
5. "So not true!" : IT'S A LIE
6. Cheers from tiers : RAHS
7. Obamacare, briefly : ACA - Affordable Care Act
8. Baseball analyst Garciaparra : NOMAR - NOMAH at Fenway
9. "And the Putter Went ... __": golf history book : PING - But Joann, it's on sale!
10. "__ questions?" : ANY
11. Blur in a tabloid pic : UFO - They never seem to land on the lawn at MIT
12. Fox Business anchor Dobbs : LOU
15. Letter flourish : SERIF - Agnes Davidson and C.C. Burnikel - One with SERIF and one sans SERIF
26. As a precaution : IN CASE
28. How much shopping is done : ON LINE
29. Webpage option under an invoice : PAY NOW
31. Top off, say : FILL - Nah, I've still got 60 miles worth in there...
33. Retailer that abstained from Black Friday in 2015 and launched an #OptOutside movement instead : REI - I didn't do either but I like their thinking!
36. Flamboyant Dame : EDNA
39. Cup lip : RIM
44. Crime lab procedure : DNA TEST - "Uh, Number 2, we'd like to you stay" I used this graphic on a March puzzle, but I thought it bore repeating!
47. Sprawls on the couch : LOLLS
52. Implied : TACIT
54. Cobbler fruit : APPLE
55. Foot or furlong : UNIT - I remember Dan and Jane as Parental UNITS from when SNL was funny
56. Hershey's toffee bar : SKOR - A fav of mine
57. Thus : ERGO
58. Flashy light : NEON - Times Squares now OPTS for LED lights
59. Served dinner to : FED
60. Take advantage of : USE
61. Arrest : NAB
62. Menu catchphrase : ALA - This is the third Puzzle ALA Irish and C.C. I have blogged and they have all been a pleasure!
Well, I am finished between the sheets. You?