Theme: Shhh! - Variations on a theme.
20A. "Hush": "PLEASE BE QUIET"
32A. "Hush": "DON'T SAY A WORD"
41A. "Hush": "PUT A SOCK IN IT"
57A. "Hush": "BUTTON YOUR LIP"
Argyle here with Constructor and Editor, Patti Varol. I notice a subtle increase in harshness in the HUSHes, IMO.
1. Like a rough winter: HARSH
6. Opera number: ARIA
10. "Beat it!": "SCAT!"
14. Nebraska city on the Missouri: OMAHA
15. "Shoot!": "DARN!"
16. Bear whose bed was too hard: PAPA
17. Like granola bars: OATEN
18. Arabian sultanate: OMAN
19. "College GameDay" airer: ESPN. (Originally an initialism for Entertainment and Sports Programming Networks)
23. Funnyman Caesar: SID. Argument to Beethoven's 5th.
24. It's often heated up for dinner: OVEN
25. Table salt additive: IODINE
28. Banishment: EXILE
30. FYI relative: BTW. (For Your Information / By The Way)
31. Cincinnati ballplayer: RED
36. Cathedral area: APSE
39. Ocean west of Eur.: ATL. (Atlantic)
40. Murray or Roddick of tennis fame: ANDY
46. Big bird Down Under: EMU
47. Pizza __ restaurant: HUT
48. Ready to pour: ON TAP
51. Forbidden actions: TABOOs. 44D. Forbidden action: NO-NO
53. Payroll IDs: SSNs. (Social Security number)
55. Lav of London: LOO. Head, john, little house outback.
60. "Shake a leg!": "C'MON!"
62. Pakistan neighbor: IRAN. 8D. Baghdad's land: IRAQ
63. Despicable character: LOUSE
64. Painter Chagall: MARC
65. Fictional sleuth Wolfe: NERO
66. Tacked on: ADDED
67. Hathaway of "Interstellar": ANNE
68. Olympian's goal: GOLD
69. Marsh stalks: REEDS
1. Basketball targets: HOOPS
2. Charlotte __: U.S. Virgin Islands capital: AMALIE. Wiki link
3. Like adult movies: RATED X
4. __ butter: cosmetic moisturizer: SHEA
5. Space pilot who insists, "I take orders from just one person: me": HAN SOLO
6. Photoshop software developer: ADOBE
7. Budget noodle dish: RAMEN
9. Retirement income source: ANNUITY
10. Radar gun reading: SPEED
11. Like some durable skillets: CAST IRON
12. Smartphone download: APP. (Application)
13. Almond-colored: TAN
21. Fairly matched: EVEN
22. Where Grant Wood's "American Gothic" house is: IOWA
26. Geeky type: NERD
27. Jacuzzi effect: EDDY
29. Inventor's spark: IDEA
30. "__ Ha'i": "South Pacific" song: BALI
The lyrics can be found on the YouTube link.
33. Ambassador's asset: TACT
34. E*TRADE purchase: Abbr.: STK. (stock)
35. Light bulb unit: WATT
36. In __: moody: A PET
37. Mountain cat: PUMA
38. Tough to budge: STUBBORN
42. Small liquor amount: SHOT
43. Giving the boot: OUSTING
45. Completely cut off: INSULAR
49. Refer (to): ALLUDE
50. Self-assured: POISED
52. Postal scale unit: OUNCE
53. Hairbrush target: SNARL
54. Church council: SYNOD
56. Pages for opinions: OP EDs
58. Cookie shaped like two of its letters: OREO. A new clue for an old answer.
59. Biked, e.g.: RODE
60. Nashville awards gp.: CMA. (Country Music Association)
61. Guy: MAN
Notes from C.C.:
1) Chickie (Leah) was not able to post from her Blogger account. She sent me below. Hopefully she'll return to our blog soon.
"Please send my thanks to everyone on the Corner. The virtual hugs, condolences, and thoughts for me on Bill's passing are so very comforting."
2) Happy birthday to dear CanadianEh!, who's been with our blog for a few years. Her comments are often always so warm and insightful. Dinner at the winery, CanadianEh!?