Theme: Kevin Christian - An initial puzzle.
17. *Home of baseball's Royals: KANSAS CITY
24. *Diagonally: KITTY CORNER
34. *Large venomous snake: KING COBRA
51. *Hang out (with): KEEP COMPANY
60. *Martial arts move: KARATE CHOP
67. Strikeout victim of poetry, and a phonetic hint to the answers to starred clues: CASEY (K C)
Argyle here. A pleasant Tuesday.
1. __ torch: party light: TIKI
5. Gone from one's plate: EATEN
10. "Eleni" author Nicholas: GAGE
14. Nailed, as a test: ACED
15. Carne __: taco filling: ASADA. We have had it here at the corner before but I haven't had any personally. Ranchero Platter (for 2 persons) Carne asada (grilled shell steak), 2 carnitas (pork), chorizo, guacamole, refried beans, corn tortillas - $25.00 - at our local restaurant.
16. Loads (of): A TON. The amount of food that come with the Ranchero Platter.
19. Online journal: BLOG. Somebody asked me the meaning the other day and I couldn't tell them. "The definition of BLOG is "Web-log, online diary".
20. Terminate: END
21. Sign light: NEON
22. Dutch cheese: GOUDA. The five letter Dutch cheese.
23. Federal hush-hush org.: NSA. (No Such Agency)
27. Lament: BEMOAN
29. Clod: OAF
30. "Silk Stockings" actress Charisse: CYD
31. Wine collector's datum: YEAR
32. Gumbo vegetable: OKRA
33. Laugh half: HEE
39. Young fellow: LAD
42. Opposite of spicy: MILD
43. Nile wading bird: IBIS
47. Here, in Haiti: ICI. French.
48. Santa __ winds: ANA
49. GI's mess work: KP DUTY. We had ON KP Saturday.
55. X, in old Rome: TEN
56. Cultural spirit: ETHOS
57. Not on base when req.: AWOL. (Absent Without Leave)
58. Org. whose awards ceremony Vince Gill hosted or co-hosted from 1992-2003: CMA. (Country Music Association)
59. Indian bread: NAAN
63. Raison d'__: ÊTRE
64. Exchange suggestive glances, say: FLIRT. Some people's raison d'être.
65. Cub scout units: DENs
66. Marries: WEDS
68. Canadian tribe: CREE
1. Impressed with: TAKEN BY
2. Words when the blindfold comes off: "I CAN SEE!"
3. Japanese ball-and-cups toy: KENDAMA
4. Passports, e.g.: IDs
5. Enter slowly: EASE IN
6. Foppish neckwear: ASCOT. Not foppish if you got the panache.
7. Besmirch: TAINT
8. Summer hrs. at Yankee Stadium: EDT. (Eastern Daylight Time)
9. Thumbs-down vote: NAY
10. Eva or Zsa Zsa: GABOR, or Magda.
11. Out for a midday meal: AT LUNCH
12. The one without the patch, for Bazooka Joe: GOOD EYE
13. Dueler's cry: "EN GARDE!"
18. "Puppy Love" singer Paul: ANKA
22. Excel in one's career: GO FAR. Paul Anka did.
25. Ono from Tokyo: YOKO. She did too, in her own way.
26. Low-__ diet: CARB
28. Mork's planet: ORK
32. Med. condition that may involve excessive hand-washing: OCD. (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) Judi Dench as Lady Macbeth. Clip(4:33)
35. Apple desktops: i-MACS
36. Bogotá boy: NIÑO
37. Glittery rock genre: GLAM
38. Help: AID
39. Refurbished: LIKE NEW
40. Protective plastic film: ACETATE
41. Fanatically devoted: DIE HARD. The "Die Hard" franchise has been very good to Bruce Willis.
44. Cleaver user: BUTCHER
45. Agenda start: ITEM ONE
46. Neural transmission point: SYNAPSE
49. __ pine: paneling wood: KNOTTY
50. Gomer of TV: PYLE. "Shazam!"
52. Corn breads: PONEs
53. "Les Misérables" city: PARIS
54. Not clueless: AWARE
60. Col. Sanders' chain: KFC. (Kentucky Fried Chicken)
61. __ carte: À LA
62. Atlanta-based public health org.: CDC. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)