Theme: Special - Festival of Lights.
17A. Potato __: 61-Across dish: PANCAKES
19A. Items in a 59-Across lit for 61-Across: CANDLES
37A. Traditional 61-Across surprise, aptly boxed, and spelled with the only four letters of the alphabet that don't appear elsewhere in this grid: GIFT
59A. 61-Across centerpiece: MENORAH
61A. Two-millennia-old tradition that begins at sunset tonight: HANUKKAH
and an added hint to the center answer. 36A. Pack in cartons: BOX UP
Argyle here. 15x16 pangram. Visual grid.
1. 1960s presidential monogram: LBJ
4. Gremlins and Pacers: AMCs. (American Motors Corporation) Cars from the seventies.
8. Lands' End rival: L.L.BEAN
14. World Cup cry: OLÉ
15. Naked: BARE
16. Cross-referencing phrase: SEE ALSO. Very apt for today's puzzle.
20. Novelist Ferber: EDNA
21. Key with four sharps: E MAJOR
23. Wife of Jacob: LEAH
24. Fervor: ZEAL
25. Rebecca of "Risky Business": DE MORNAY
27. Relaxed condition: LOOSENESS
29. "¿__ pasa?": QUE. "What's up?"
32. One lacking manners: BOOR, not 32D. Dutch South African: BOER
34. Cowboy boot attachments: SPURS
38. Range dividing Europe and Asia: URALS
39. "You gotta be kidding": "YEESH!"
40. Rx items: MEDS
41. Coffee server: URN
42. Long-finned tunas: ALBACOREs
49. Nash priest, not beast: ONE 'L' LAMA
50. Roughly: OR SO
54. Make __ dash for: A MAD
57. Expired: LAPSED
58. Contented sounds: AAHs
63. Football rushing plays: END RUNS. Offense.
64. Greek love god: EROS
65. December 24, e.g.: EVE
66. Figured (out): SUSSED
67. Suffix with ransom: WARE
68. Org. with narcs: DEA. (Drug Enforcement Administration)
1. Pop icon Jennifer: LOPEZ. J.Lo
2. Razor insert: BLADE. I barely remember.
3. Barbara Bush's twin sister: JENNA. On left.
4. Legal org.: ABA. (American Bar Association)
5. Manage somehow: MAKE DO
6. Sweet liqueurs: CRÈMES
7. Bagel seed: SESAME
8. Finds out: LEARNS
9. Actor Cariou: LEN. Wiki. Canadian actor currently playing Henry Reagan the TV series Blue Bloods.
10. In a shoddy way: BADLY
11. She, in Paree: ELLE
12. On an ocean liner: ASEA
13. Quick snack: NOSH
16. Music for a film: SCORE
18. Hardhearted: CALLOUS
22. Actor Voight: JON
26. Take for granted: ASSUME
28. Annie, notably: ORPHAN
29. Campus hangout: QUAD
30. Addresses beginning with "http://": URLs. (Uniform Resource Locator)
31. Letter before tee: ESS
33. Plow-pulling team: OXEN
35. Washing machine cycle: PRESOAK
36. Mormon sch.: BYU. (Brigham Young University)
43. University founder Stanford: LELAND. Father of Stanford University in in Stanford, CA.
44. Malaise, with "the": BLAHS
45. Swiss peak: ALP
46. Kidney-shaped nut: CASHEW
47. 1998 Masters champ Mark: O'MEARA
48. Philadelphia suburb: RADNOR. An unincorporated community I've never heard of.
49. Smells: ODORS
51. Gathered leaves: RAKED
52. Trim whiskers: SHAVE
53. Actor Milo: O'SHEA
|Milo O'Shea in Ulysses in 1967|
54. Home of Iowa State: AMES
55. Diner handout: MENU
56. Added stipulations: ANDs
60. Regret: RUE
62. "__ as directed": USE